Please sign in to post.

Eurail pass

Hello

We are a family of 4 (2 adult, 1 child and 1 youth). We will be travelling to Italy and Switzerland by train. We have a total of 15 days for Italy and Switzerland that includes Rome, Florence, Venice, Milan, Zurich- includes travelling to Lucerne (1 day) and Lauterbrunnen (1 day).
How many days of Eurail pass will be the best option for our travel? Will the Eurail pass includes local trains too?

Thank you

Posted by
27111 posts

It is not certain that a Eurail Pass is right for you. Italian trains are comparatively cheap on a per-mile basis. Swiss trains are not, but you don't have much time planned in Switzerland. Are you sure buying passes for four people will be less expensive than simploy buying point-to-point train tickets?
When is your trip?

Posted by
4 posts

That is what I am not certain about whether a pass will be worth buying! We are travelling in June. Thank you for the quick reply.

Posted by
6895 posts

For long-distance trains in Italy, Eurail passes still require you to purchase reservations on top, 10€ each if I remember correctly (there might be a child discount). It adds up!
How old is the 'youth'? Age 15 or less travel free with a parent on Swiss Railways, provided you get a free Swiss Family Card.

Posted by
32747 posts

Can you add any time at all? I'm worried about your one day visit to Lauterbrunnen. My guess is that you will be arriving some time during the day, then try to do some activities, then leave again in the morning? Is that right?

The weather in that part of Switzerland is notorious and most people go for a few days so as to get a good clear morning to go up one or both mountains. I'm afraid that arriving after the clouds roll in during the late morning on what is effectively a long day-trip will result in disappointment, and to go such a long way for a let down.

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you Balso. I didn't know about the swiss family card! I will look into it. Both children are under 15. So the family card can be a good option too!
For trains, I will have to calculate point to point tickets vs travel pass! Thank you for the suggestion!!

Posted by
4 posts

Hi Nigel
We have 3 days in Switzerland. I know that is pretty less time to see the Swiss beauty! We will be doing 1 day trip to Lucerne as well as Lauterbrunnen. I don't think we can make it to the mountains. Any suggestions for doing major sightseeing in Lauterbrunnen?
Thank you.

Posted by
20086 posts

Re the free Family Card in Switzerland, I believe you have to purchase at least one other Swiss rail product (Swiss Travel Pass, 30 day Half Fare Card, for instance) to get this.

In Italy, you may find it less expensive and plan ahead to buy nonrefundable tickets for the high speed trains connecting Rome, Florence, Venice, Milan and Luzern. Nobody has any problem buying these types of tickets for air travel, and the same applies to train travel in Europe. You're planning to be in these cities and will no doubt have lodgings booked, so do the same for your travel between them. For instance. I see many trains on May 31 for 88 EUR total for 3 adults and 1 child for Rome to Florence. 112 EUR for Milan to Luzern a week later.

I would just go from Milan to Luzern and stay there for your time in Switzerland. Plenty to do in the area, including mountain top train rides, lake voyages, etc. Assume you are flying home from Zurich, and it is just over an hour by direct train to Zurich airport from Luzern.