Please sign in to post.

Etruscan Tombs

I have been looking for a comprehensive guide/web site for visiting archaelogical sites related to the Etruscans and I can't find anything but museum recommendations. I will be most likely staying in Cortona (that's another question) for a week and I have read of an archaeology park nearby, but that is all. Does anyone know of a good source or places to go? I'm a member of the AIA but all they offer is the rare volunteer dig in the summers. I'm not looking for anything fancy either. Actually, the fewer pamphlets the better. Thanks for reading my post.

Posted by
10344 posts

I can identify with your research problem. You would think a Google Search on Etruscan archaeological sites or Etruscan tombs would turn up more useful sites, but I also found this to be a problem when I was trying to study up before visiting Etruscan artifacts at the Getty Villa in LA. I didn't find as much as I thought I would in the usual places. The question you're asking has only occasionally come up here, I searched the Helpline archives and hopefully this one prior discussion thread will at least get you started with the names of some towns where Etruscan archaeological sites, not just museums, are located: http://www.ricksteves.com/graffiti/helpline/index.cfm?topic=40507 I'll add that, even after you have locations of sites, they're easy to miss driving around, I've never found some that I thought I knew the location of. The museums are easy to find but to find the sites is sometimes challenging. Get as good a GPS fix on the sites as you can, and take your GPS with you.

Posted by
10344 posts

Stuart: I also looked and didn't find it. Etruscan, once you go beyond the basics, doesn't come up for much discussion here. Here it's more about the practical basics: where to sleep, where to eat, getting there, getting around (but we're nice). I've already told you what I know about it, which isn't much. Or possibly one of the Blue Guides (Italy, Tuscany, Umbria?) would cover it.

Posted by
10344 posts

I just noticed an old Michelin Tuscany Green Guide, has 7 or 8 pages on Etruscans, including some archaeological sites & pics - too much to copy here (plus probably violates their copyright). Possibly you can search inside the Green Guide on Amazon.

Posted by
565 posts

Thank you to everyone for the thoughtful advice. I have until March so it will be fun to gather bits and pieces of information and map it before I leave. Stuart, if you ever come across that thread I would love to see it. It sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. I'll try TripAdvisor as well. I know as soon as I get there I'll probably get more references than I could use in a lifetime. I'll collect everything I can on it and share it.

Posted by
565 posts

Thanks for the reply Kent. That's a great video. I'll see if I can track down the location of the dig. It looks like this is going to be a treasure hunt trying to find anything which could be part of the fun. I'll make notes of what I find and report back to everyone. I have read on a couple of other threads elsewhere that much of it is on private property in agriturismos and vinyards and the owners allow access to those who find it. I'll compose a list before I leave and definitely bring my GPS. Thanks again.

Posted by
10344 posts

"I'll make notes of what I find and report back to everyone."
That would be helpful to us here, I would bookmark it so that others asking the same question could be helped. The search page linked to below may help by showing some books with a map that has the locations mentioned in the books plotted on a map http://tinyurl.com/26f9mv6 Etruscan Civilization: A Cultural History, by Sybille Haynes is a book they were selling at the Getty Villa. You might be able to search inside the book at Amazon.com or Google Books, to see if it covers the subjects, such as location of Etruscan sites, that you're looking for.

Posted by
3603 posts

There is an excellent small Etruscan museum in Chiusi (easily reached from Cortona). As part of your visit you can sign up for a tour of some nearby tombs. I would try to do it in advance so as to combine the museum and tombs in one day. My recollection is that the expeditions to the tombs were offered just three days/week.

Posted by
3250 posts

There are some great Etruscan sites in and near Orvieto - not so far from Contona.

Posted by
10344 posts

Leslie, looks like you're looking for locations of Etruscan archaeological sites, not museums, the museum locations are easier to find in internet searches. There are tombs near Chiusi and Cortona. Finding them can be a problem.

Posted by
251 posts

As mentioned, I would also recommend Cortona and Chiusi for visiting Etruscan tombs/ruins. Volterra can also be another noted stop. http://www.castellitoscani.com/etruria.htm This website has a few links that can get you started into looking into Etruscan history. However, I am certain there was a post on this board within the last couple of years where someone put a link to an individual's website who had searched Etruscan ruins/tombs around Tuscany, photographed and mapped every one, while mentioning some detailed history about each as well... Does anyone else remember this? I can remember looking through the website for about an hour, as it was great info. But, after searching for a little bit, I can't find the post in the archives... I will keep checking though. But good luck with your search. Oh, and also keep in mind, since you are staying in Cortona, the tourist office will have lots of info on the Etruscan ruins around Cortona if you need to get more info there. Another brief article on places to visit: http://mymelange.net/mymelange/tag/archaeological

Posted by
10344 posts

Stuart: are you searching the Helpline archives using the built in search box in the upper right corner (it doesn't find much) or using the search instructions in the FAQ stickie that utilizes Google Advanced Search (which works better though nothing like 100%).

Posted by
251 posts

Yes, I am searching through Google advanced search. I can't recall if the topic itself dealt with Etruscan ruins or if somehow it was brought up within a different topic on Tuscany or where to stay, etc.

Posted by
2876 posts

There are some wonderful Etruscan tombs near Cerveteri, just a short ways up the coast from Rome's Fiumicino airport. I don't recall there being a museum when we were there a few years ago, and I think - I'm not sure - that it's an active archeological site.

Posted by
123 posts

Two suggestions for you: The museum in Volterra was excellent (I know, you don't want a museum); and Roberto (Rick's recommended guide out of Sienna) took us on a tour of an Etruscan tomb a few years ago. The tomb wasn't open to the public but Roberto has a friend in a museum. The friend lent Roberto the key and we were able to go into the small tomb, one at a time, to see what it was like. Of course everything was gone from the tomb (to the museum) but it was still fascinating. Roberto is willing to craft a tour to fit your desires, so you might want to contact him. He wasn't my favorite guide of our Italy trip, but he did have access into the Etruscan tomb. Deb

Posted by
1883 posts

We saw some sites around Sovana and Sorano...also I believe there might be some by Pitigliano. Perhaps a Google search for these towns. Not too close by Cortona, but wonderful, less touristy towns.... We were on a bike trip, passed by signs for Etruscan sites, but didn't stop to see them. Wish I could be of more help, but wanted to offer this info for your research before your trip