Please sign in to post.

ETR610 seating

I'm planning on taking an ETR610 from Milan to Zurich. I want to sit facing the direction the train is traveling in. The trenitalia site does not make this clear and another schematic I've just seen indicates that there is "new seat numbering". I think this can be cleared up if someone knows whether in all of these cars the WC is in the back of the car, or in the front of the car.

If the WC is in the front of the car then the seat numbering from low to high makes sense. If some can confirm please.

Posted by
10344 posts

Have they already given you a seat number?
Or have you not purchased the ticket yet?

Posted by
9 posts

I'm looking at the seating chart right now, in the middle of the booking process.

Posted by
10344 posts

In some of the cars there is a WC in the front and the back of the car.
You cannot conclude, from what I'm looking at, that as you said, "in all of these cars the WC is in the back."

Posted by
9 posts

Ok then is it safe to assume that the front of the car (leading the car forward) is where the lowest seat number starts (for example, #1) and not where the highest seat number starts (for example, #80)?

Posted by
10344 posts

No, I've seen it both ways, higher numbers starting at the front and lower numbers starting at the front.

Posted by
8889 posts

You cannot even conclude that the low numbered coaches are at the front. Trains are bi-directional, seats facing forwards from Milan to Zürich will be facing backwards from Zürich to Milan, and vice-versa.
And, the train can change direction en route, so if you start out going forwards you can end up going backwards, and vice-versa. This is not actually the case on the Milan Zürich route, but depending on which route the train had been on previously, it could be either way around.

Sorry

Posted by
16893 posts

Since Milan is an end-of-the-line station, trains can pull into it facing one way then pull out using a different engine on the other end. They might not be able to guarantee the direction you're facing. Other travelers onboard the train may be willing to trade with you.

Posted by
8889 posts

Laura, minor technicality. These trains, like most high speed trains, doesn't have an engine. They are symetrical, and have a cab at both ends. All it takes to change direction is for the driver to walk from one end to the other, which is what happens at Bern amongst other places (which is not a terminal station, but trains on some routes still change directions there).
See photo here: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a0/CIS_ETR610006_009_Bex_140411.jpg

Posted by
9 posts

Hey, I have one more question since the topic is still train from Milan to Zurich. I'm looking for a scenic journey and there are a few different routes: The Simplon route, the Gotthard route, the Bernina route, maybe others. I know Bernina is like 12 hours. The booking I was going to do is exactly 4 hours.

Which route would it take, is the view any good, and which side of the train would be best view?

Posted by
32805 posts

Regarding the original question - there is also no guarantee that the type of train you expect will actually operate the train you ride on. For all sorts of operational reasons trains are sometimes substituted. You ticket is your contract with the operator, it guarantees you travel from A to B but not the method to be used. They can even - in extremis - put you on a bus to achieve the goal.

And, as noted above, trains do often reverse configuration.

Many people can be helpful if you find yourself in an uncomfortable orientation, but remember that if they swap with you they will then be stuck with that orientation.

Also - be aware that as the trains flies through the mountains if it is a sunny day, local riders will pull the blinds down to prevent sun in their eyes, so no matter which seat you are in your view may be obstructed.

Nevertheless I hope you have a really enjoyable trip.

^^ To the person who added their slightly complicated question on at the end - it would be best if you posted your own question which can then receive full attention.

Posted by
8889 posts

berkqq,
If you put in a search from A to B in a train website, it will always find the quickest route. You can then look at the train details to see what other stops it makes, and therefore the route. Some (including www.bahn.de and www.sbb.ch ) also have map options showing the route.

From Milan to Zürich, the quickest route is via the Gotthard tunnel. There are regular direct trains, you do not have to changes.
The two alternative routes are the Bernina pass route and the Lötschberg Simplon route. Both are longer if going to Zürich, will require changes, will take more time and cost more.
The Bernina pass route is the most scenic route, as it goes over the top of the Alps. But from Milan to Zürich it is a huge detour.
You will still see mountains on the Gotthard route.

Posted by
500 posts

The Bernina route is the most scenic, but it was never meant to be a long range line so it is very slow. I found the Simplon route not too scenic - except, maybe, the section along Lago Maggiore. The Gotthard route has its amount of scenery and it is very interesting to the railfan; there are some sections where the route turns over itself on three different levels. Both sides are interesting, as the line reverses direction so often.