Please sign in to post.

Emilio Romagna and Veneto between Florence and Venice - April/May 2020

I have been to areas of Italy twice before. Last trip included Florence (which I loved) and Venice (which I didn't love). I want to revisit these 2 cities and spend time in the secondary towns inbetween. I have up to 3 weeks.
I am looking for some advice on timing, number of days, and home bases.
I would be using train or buses and I tend to prefer short let apartments. It is just I traveling. I am a budget traveler and comfortable in new environments by myself. I love to try new foods and local cuisine, but not into a foodie focus of Italy. Museums, history, architecture, gardens, birdwatching are my typicalinterests when traveling. I dkn't take enough time to sit and enjoy a spritz☹
As part of my interest is gardens, I was looking at last half of April into May. I tend to try to avoid Easter(April 10-12, 2020) and there is May 1 that slows things down. There was a recent mention of avoiding Rome last week in April for congestion as locals holiday then....is this a problem everywhere?
In Florence, I am looking to visit gardens, revisit some loved museums and explore some new ones. Perhaps 4-5 nights. In Venice there are the Islands to explore as well as the districts besides SanMarco or San Paolo. Looking to stay inthe Ghetto region near the canal. Another 5 nights.
Inbetween, I have Verona, Padua, Ravenna, Bologna and Brenta Canal region on my short list but have no idea of how long each needs and whether I can do all from one home base, or break it down to 2 (or more). Day trips to me seem a little wasteful for time and return trainfare rather than linking towns together, but I am finding multiple 1 night stands tiring during a long trip.
Lastly, I struggle to know where to slot in Venice so that I can learn to love it. Last visit we were very travel weary and everything was a struggle and not enjoyable; so though first or last city makes sense for airports, jet lag or travel fatigue would certainly be factors to consider. Price or time-wise, return flights to Milan, Florence or Venice are comparable, as is into Venice and out of Florence (2 plane changes and 12-14 hours). Bologna isn't a beneficial flight option. Despite my preferences, I realize backtracking is most likely necessary in order to meet my goals.
Any assistance on how to direct my lay out my time is very much appreciated.

Posted by
3595 posts

With an interest in architecture, you should include Vicenza, which houses several works by Palladio. You might also consider one of the Brenta Canal cruises. When we did one, there were two companies offering similar itineraries. They alternated, on a daily basis, sailing from Padova and Venice. Included were stops at Palladian villas with guided tours. There were choices of whole or half day cruises.j

Posted by
4573 posts

Roslyn, thanks. Yes, I will certainly add Vicenza. I am looking at this right now, actually. My mention of the Brenta Canal was to include the villas along that route, as well as just enjoying the water mode of transport. If the tour will accept luggage, then that might be my way to get between Padua and Venice. It is pricey (considering Cdn$), but would be worth it.

Posted by
3595 posts

Maria,
It was quite a few years ago, but I believe I’m remembering accurately that there was a couple on our Brent’s cruise who were doing what you have in mind. They were taking the tour, but getting off in Venice to stay a few days there. They had their luggage with them. Of course, you should check with the tour operator.