Please sign in to post.

Electronics/Plugs

Hi,

Family of 5 is heading to Italy 17 days and we all bringing our IPhones and 1 computer. I purchased a REI travel converter but I'm realizing that will only charge 2 phones. Any recommendation on what to buy so all devices can be charged. Any multiple device out there I should consider? What about a multiple cord? Any help would be helpful. Thanks

Posted by
15109 posts

Get one of these:

Upwade Power Strip

Bring one phone charger to charge the fifth phone

Bring computer charger

Enough USB cords to charge all devices

Adapter plugs for Italy

As long as your computer says 120/240 you don't need a converter. The iphones will be fine.

Posted by
20178 posts

99% sure you don't need a converter. Your iPhone chargers and computer probably accept up to 250 VAC, it will be on printed on the charger. You just need plug adapters. You might be able to get buy a single plug adapter and multi outlet plug you can buy at any hardware store here before you leave.

Posted by
1323 posts

Do you have to charge all the phones at the same time?

We usually split it so I charge in the morning and my wife charge in the afternoon.

Posted by
11613 posts

I use adapter plugs for my phone and iPad.

Posted by
540 posts

I bring a wall unit that has 2 USB ports and an outlet. Bring one or two of these.

Its nice to have multiples because not everyone is together at all times to charge at same time, especially if people are in separate rooms, etc.

Posted by
2768 posts

No need for a converter for any phone or I've heard of. Definitely not for iPhones or iPads. Also would be surprised if computer needed it. I have actually never run into an item that isn't dual voltage. Of course I'm not checking my toaster or anything, just items I'd consider traveling with like phones.

What you want is plug adapters - those tiny things that cost like $2. Get a USB hub that is dual voltage - most are -, put an adapter on it, plug it in to the wall, and you can plug a bunch of USB chargers in at once. Mine has 4. There is probably one with 5. If you need more just bring the plug from home, add an adapter and use as normal.

Something like this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01L0KNBRC?psc=1

With adapter
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0084OPT8C/ref=mp_s_a_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1504779199&sr=8-11&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=plug+adapter