Please sign in to post.

Eight days in France

Looking for suggestions for an August trip to France. We plan to go to Marseille around August 7, go to either Avignon or Aix-en-Provence, then fly out of Paris on the 15th. Wish we had more time. Would appreciate any suggestions on what to do or see, places to eat, good but reasonable hotels, etc.
Thank you.

Posted by
10344 posts

There will be large crowds in Marseille in August since that's the time the French take their long summer vacation and they had south.
Get rooms with AC.
If trains go to the destinations you want, take the trains (leave the car at the train station).
If you're going to country locations not served by train, drive or sign up for a private tour.

P.S. You posted this in the Italy section; you'll get more answers if you post it again in the France section.

Posted by
1 posts

We have found that Aix is a very friendly town with lots to do and just beautiful , bring good walking shoes. Arles is nice we stayed on the west side of the river but the old part of town was just a short walk across the bridge. Pont du guar is truly spectacular. Mount Ventoux is an amazing trip as you can see it from the air when you fly in. The drive there is so beautiful, we rented a gps here in the states with all the French maps loaded. Sometimes we thought it might be wrong but it never let us down. Rental car picked up at the airport was nice and very economical. Gps was programmed to just take the back roads. This saved money on tolls and let us enjoy the country side and people. Lots of really nice little markets and shops. You can't find a place that's not just wonderful. The only trouble is you can't stay, but I'm working on that. The mountains are also very special, Saint Verain or Barcolanette just magical. Stay at a gite instead of a hotel and it will save you money. A gite is like a hotel only when they serve food you don't get to order off the menus, you just eat what they cook. I took my wife and 20 year old daughter. I was not sure if my daughter really appreciated France but the other day she said "you know dad, everything in France was so pleasant" and that pretty well sums it up. Hope you have a ball, I know we did.

Posted by
3696 posts

You posted in Italy, but I will answer anyway.... If this is your first trip to the south of France I think you are missing the best of what this area has to offer. Marseilles (which is interesting) is a gritty port town. Aix is quite a large city, and while it is pretty, it is quite crowded and busy and the same for Avignon. There are tons of smaller villages and towns that are quintessential French countryside. If I had only seen these 3 cities, I would not be in love with Provence. Is there any chance you can rent a car for a few days and explore the area? Is there a reason you chose these cities? Provence to me means the small markets, the quaint restaurants, the beautiful tree lined streets leading into the villages, and a possible lavender field or two. If you are open to some other areas repost in the France section and you will get a host of ideas. My all time favorite place to stay is St. Remy, and of the tons of people I know who have stayed there I have never heard any who were disappointed.