Please sign in to post.

Easter Sunday 2022 Padua, Italy

Arriving on Sunday, 17 April 2022 for 18 April Village Italy tour. Turns out it's East Sunday. Should we expect sites or restaurants to be open? I'm assuming trains will be running if we want to go to Verona or Bologna? What about the next day - Monday? Are sites open on Mondays? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Posted by
1662 posts

Hi A,

I haven't been on a tour, but I'm pretty sure the tour guides will have suggestions or things in place already for that busy weekend.

Padova (Padua) seems to be a very interesting and lovely place to visit with lots to do.

Easter (Pasqua) in Italy is the most revered holy day aside from Christmas.

It is the beginning of the high season too; expect tourist crowds. A lot of Italians go on holiday during this long weekend - (or they used to.)

With the events of this past year and a half, things could have drastically changed or been altered of course.

Typically, smaller shops and family owned restaurants will probably be closed on Easter Sunday and Monday.

Most major museums and sites should be open on Sunday. The Vatican and Sistine Chapel will be closed.

Trains do run in Italy on the holiday.

Always best to check each official and direct web site for complete accuracy and information of openings and closings, policies, and schedules

If you are on your own for Easter, you should plan to reserve dinner for Easter Sunday in one of the open restaurants.

Happy planning.

Posted by
3812 posts

assuming trains will be running if we want to go to Verona or Bologna?

Trains will run on the Sunday schedule.

Make a search on trenitalia.com/en.html entering August 15, 2021 as day of travel: this way you can get an idea of the level of service during the biggest holidays. With Covid in mind, train service in 2022 can only improve. Or wait for December 12 and see the actual 2022 winter schedules.

What about the next day - Monday? Are sites open on Mondays?

Many sites who stay open on Sundays are usually closed on Mondays. Since Easter Monday is traditionally dedicated to day-trips, trains run and many sites are exceptionally open on Easter Monday (known as Pasquetta). You'll have to check the web page of any attraction you are interested in, or get a travel guide focused on northern Italy.

Small shops not catering to tourists will be closed both days while most brand stores in city centers will be open. If I had to bet, I wouldn't put my money on Red: more shops will be open in the white Verona than in the Red Bologna.

The vast majority of Restaurants are usually open (at least for lunch) on Easter Monday: it's one of the most important days to make business since 90% of Italians are day-tripping and neither mom nor pop can afford to loose that money. Especially after Covid. Even if For the opposite reason, I agree with above message about the need to book restaurants on Easter Monday.