Please sign in to post.

Easter in Venice

Arriving in Venice the morning of 3/23 and then taking the train to Santa Margherita Ligure on 3/25 (Easter Monday). While I cant wait to spend Easter in Italy, I'm a little concerned that a lot of things will be closed. I've been to Venice before and have taken in all of the traditional touristy stuff (San Marco Square, Doge Palace, Murano factory, etc) so am not worried about breezing through those again. But will restaurants and stores be open on Easter Sunday/ Monday? Are there any special events ties specifically to Easter that weekend? Also, I'm staying in the San Croce area by the train station and would LOVE to take in a true Italian Mass on Sunday . Does anyone have any good reccomendations or should I just brave the crowds at St. Mark's Basilica. Thanks!

Posted by
1 posts

I too, will be in Venice for Easter Sunday and Easter Monday (leaving 04/26). I am also concerned about what will be open on Easter Sunday/Monday. Any ideas?

Posted by
565 posts

I was in Venice a couple of years ago on Easter Sunday but we were catching a train to Verona that day. There appeared to be quite a bit open that morning. Verona was very busy and all the restaurants were very full. I think if you are shopping you will have issues but if you are taking it easy that day, you will find plenty of distractions. Easter Monday doesn't seem to be as big of a deal in Italy as it is in France (maybe I am just not seeing it). If you have never been, Santa Margherita Ligure is awesome by the way. There is a gorgeous church on a small road up the hill from the beach that I can't ever find anything on. It's modest on the outside, but very moving inside. Wander up the hillside if you get a chance...beautiful gardens too. Take the boat to Portofino and then return to SML and wonder why you didn't spend those two hours sitting at a cafe on the beach here (we all do it). As far as mass goes, the churches post the mass times on the door so I would go the day before and check it out. I love the lesser known churches for mass. The larger crowds are more tourist friendly though.