Please sign in to post.

Easter in Italy

Planning a trip to Florence, Siena and Montepulciano this spring and realized we’ll be there Easter weekend. We have 9 days total and looking for advice on what Good Friday & Easter will be like? This will be right in the middle of our trip & trying to decide where we should be.

Posted by
8309 posts

We spent a couple of Easters in Rome--and have seen the Pope ride out through the crowd. It was quite an experience.

We also visited Rome and St. Peters this past June and the ques were long--just to get in line. I've just about had it with the huge crowds.

Posted by
11680 posts

We have been in Florence on Easter weekend and it will be a bit crowded, but probably no worse than any other late spring weekend. Make reservations for any museums and certainly for Easter lunch as many dine out that day. We enjoyed going to the Pitti Palace on Sunday while the crowds were in the piazza for the Scoppio del Carlo.

Posted by
5472 posts

We were in Venice and surrounding area at Easter a few years ago. Like you, we didn't realize it when planning. On Good Friday, everything in Venice became super crowded. I assume schools were closed and many workers were on vacation. For Easter Saturday and Sunday, we were with family outside of Venice, and the wineries were all closed. The very small towns were dead. Easter Monday was absolutely jammed everywhere in the cities.
Even if not religious, attending an Easter church service can be a beautiful experience, with accompanying large orchestra and choirs, and church bells ringing.
I believe the major sites are open, however check websites for accurate info.
Good luck!

Posted by
2257 posts

We were in Sicily one Easter. The surprise to us was that Easter Monday is also a big holiday and public transportation very truncated. We ended up staying an extra day because we couldn't get out of town! But we loved the processions of statues through the streets accompanied by band music.