Please sign in to post.

Easter in Venice

Does anyone know of anything special to look for during Easter in Italy? Parades, festivals, events, etc...?

Posted by
72 posts

from what I know it will be amazing especially if your close to the Vatican but small villages have nice things going on you can search on youtibe to see the kind of things they do

Posted by
161 posts

Chocolat. The huge and small eggs, the flavors, the displays. You are going at a special time of year!!

Posted by
1056 posts

I was in Sicily the week prior to Easter through Easter as well. There were processions in every town I visited. You should see processions in many towns in Italy during Holy Week.

Posted by
3112 posts

If you're in Florence on Easter Sunday, check out the Scoppio del Carro which takes place in front of the Duomo. Although it officially starts later in the morning, I'd suggest arriving no later than 10:00. Google it for more information.

Posted by
891 posts

I was in Rome on Easter Sunday years ago. My sister and I took my Dad to Europe. She and Dad planned the trip since they lived close to each other. The days leading up to Easter got more crowded. By the day before and Easter Sunday it seemed like a zoo to me. And I Love Rome. If you are okay with big crowds, you'll do fine. On Good Friday there was a procession for the Pope from the Vatican to the Colosseum in the early evening. What many tourists don't realize is that there are Many Italian people from outside Rome that are there for Easter, as they have a right to be. But as a foreign tourist it makes things more difficult.

I've been back to Rome 5 more times and love it! But, just for me, I wouldn't be there over Easter. You may love it!

Have a Great trip!
Mimi

Posted by
9 posts

Thank you all. I really appreciate your input. Has anyone been to Venice for Easter? That's where I'll be at that time.

Posted by
3112 posts

Since you'll be in Venice, perhaps you should change the title of your post to Easter in Venice.