Please sign in to post.

Easter in Italy

I am almost ready to confirm a trip to Rome, Florence and Venice during Easter week this year (soon!). We arrive in Rome Saturday and leave for Florence on Tuesday. It looks like many key places in Rome will be closed. I will be with my 16 year old daughter. What do you recommend?

Posted by
49 posts

Churches are your best bet. I am actually going to be in Naples over Easter, and a 35 year ex-pat living in that city said it is the perfect day to go to churches in Rome.

I am a Renaissance art historian, and the best churches to visit would be:

Santa Maria Maggiore
Il Gesu
San Ignazio
Santa Maria sopra Minerva
Santa Maria della Vittoria
Sant Andrea al Quirinale
Chiesa Nuova (Santa Maria Vallicella)
Santa Andrea dell Valle

I would imagine St. Petere's Basilica would be fun for Easter, though the crowds will be gigantic.

Remember, part of the fun of Rome is just walking the streets; most of the major monuments can be viewed from the street.

Posted by
49 posts

Arrgh, for some reason they removed the line breaks between the churches; in general, if it starts with "santa" it's the beginning of a church name.

Posted by
891 posts

We were in Rome before Easter one year, and the crowds were so large that it really restricted how much we could see. We got to see St. Peter's on the thurs before Easter, which was lucky, it was closed on Sat, & Sunday was restricted to people who had advance tickets. That was the only time that I've been to Rome and seen more Italian tourists than any other kind.
Don't get me wrong, going Easter week is better than not going, you just may not get to see as much in Rome, but it's still Rome!
After Rome and Florence, Venice will seem relaxing. Although walking is a great way to see Venice, you won't have to look for traffic, so it seems very peaceful, especially at night.
Have a great trip, your daughter is very lucky!