Please sign in to post.

Easter 2022

We are taking the Heart Of Italy tour for 9 days (April 2022) flying into Rome and flying out in Florence on Easter Sunday.

Wondering how Holy Week might affect travel on Easter Sunday. We planned to extend our hotel stay from the tour one day since our flight is Easter Sunday morning.

Also wondering about Holy Week festivities and services. Crowds? Clothing?

Posted by
3812 posts

All public transit will run on a reduced schedule, including the tram from Florence to the airport. You'd better get tickets the day before at some Tobacconists / newsstand.

Re clothing, if you want to enter a Catholic Church you must always cover shoulders & knees. This is always true, even when there are no services or during not-so-holy weeks.

The way you cover knees & shoulders doesn't matter, you can wear an "Hail Satan !" T-shirt around your shoulders if you want.

Posted by
48 posts

Hi rettop312,

How was your Heart of Italy trip? I am going in August 2022 and would love to hear things you did or didn't do that you will do in the future. Also, did you carry a backpack or a rolling bag? I am planning on a backpack and purse but am a little concerned about walking a lot of miles with the backpack on. Lastly, I know it is going to be hot and was planning on dresses or skirts (to be cooler) but not sure how that would work/feel with the backpack on for a long time. Did you find that you only had to carry your backpack or rolling bag from the hotel to a bus or were you walking miles with it on? Lastly, if I wear dresses and skirts I would like to wear sandals but know I need something to hike in on some days. I am thinking the Keen sandals. Any suggestions? I know I asked a lot of questions, I am just so excited. I had this trip scheduled in October of 2020 but.....COVID. Then I scheduled for October of 2021 but my daughter decided to pick a date in the middle of the tour as her wedding date. So.....I MUST go this August.

Posted by
3 posts

We had a wonderful trip! I had a back pack luggage and it worked out great! We did not have to walk miles and miles to our hotels. Just short walks, there were cobbled streets so backpack luggage was easy.

I wore comfy tennis shoes even with my skirts. I felt my feet were important. I walked about 15,000-30,000 steps a day. I used a sling bag instead of a purse so I could carry a hat, sun screen, toilet paper stash, and whisper headset system used on the tours.

I just wore my on cloud tennis shoes to hike in the cinque terra which were fine since the trails were dry. Lots and lots of flights of stairs I did over the week from all the hills and such. It was an amazing trip. Enjoy!