Please sign in to post.

Early flight out of Venice

I'm in the process of making hotel reservations for our trip in Novemeber. I'll be finishing up in Venice and have a 7:40 am flight on a Saturday morning. I'm planning on staying 3 nights in the city. I have looked at the Alilaguna schedules and it looks like the "blue" line starts as early as 3:40 am at San Marco. Am I reading this correctly? And does this mean I shouldn't have to move to a hotel closer to the airport for the 3rd night? I'd rather not pay over 100 euros for a water taxi.

Posted by
1201 posts

You can take Alilaguna Linea Blu. Depending on where you are staying you can catch the boat on the front side of Venice at 03:40 at the San Marco stop or San Zaccaria at 03:44. If it would be closer, you could also catch it at Fondamenta Nove at 04:19. I would suggest packing a small LED flashlight as it will be dark at those hours in November. There are lights on most walkways but have a flash couldn't hurt. You should not have any problems with walking to any of those locations. You could also make it to Piazzale Roma and take the bus to the airport. Both the blue ATVO fly bus and the orange ACTV bus start about 05:00 and get you to the aiport by 05:30. The vaporetto runs on a reduced night schedule but it still runs and will get you to P le Roma. Marco Polo is a smaller airport and there isn't much going on before 05:30

Posted by
515 posts

One visit in November I had an early flight home so I splurged and booked water taxi. He showed up on time at the hotel dock and told me that the Lagoon's fog was so heavy that the taxis to MPolo were shut down till later in the morning. I sprinted to Pz Roma and got a bus. I am pretty sure that the ferries are not shut down by Lagoon fog. But for me the bus is so much faster and more weather proof that I choose that even though an early early vaporetto to Pz Roma might be needed, depending on the hotel.

Posted by
582 posts

7:40 really isn't that early! I'll be in Venice early December for a full week. I arranged an airport hotel on my last night for my 6am flight!!! Better safe than sorry!

Posted by
16 posts

Thanks all! I didn't even think to look if the vaporetto was running at that hour. I went ahead and booked a room (Hotel Wildner) that is right by the San Zaccaria alilaguna stop. Good to know there are multiple options. It looks like the rooms on Venice proper are less expensive (at least in November) than the airport hotels. And I'll have to keep my fingers crossed to avoid the fog!

Posted by
41 posts

A few years ago we left early out of Venice and hired a private boat for transportation to airport. Was so cool, seeing the lights of Venice on the way, kind of expensive but never will forget. Hotel hooked us up. Have fun. Russ

Posted by
12 posts

Last October I too had an early 6am flight out of Venice and worried about how to get there in time. And I was travelling alone. While there were vaporettos running at that time, and I could have taken one, I was not staying very near a vaporetto stop, so would be lugging luggage through dark streets and bridges. I instead had my hotel reserve a water taxi for me. It was the most memorable part of the trip: James Bond-ing through the canals in the early morning darkness. Expensive yes, but so cool!