Please sign in to post.

E150/day possible?

My girlfriend and I are travelling to Venice(3days), Florence (4days) CT (2.5days) and Rome (5days) the first two weeks of October. Is 150 euros a day for food, museums, daily expenses possible? We are ok with eating from markets, pizza and having breakfast at hotels but would like atleast 1 nice meal in each city and be able to stop for a gelato or wine every now and then.

Posted by
306 posts

150 euro per day is very doable. You main expense will be your lodging. Avoid hotels. Stay at B&Bs or hostels. For example in Florence, Katti House is a very nice B&B in Florence, the rate last year was 65 eruo. Breakfast will cost you 4 euro (two coffees and 2 pastries) at your local cafe, lunch about 10 euro (two paninis or a pizza), dinner 30 euros (two pasta dishes, house wine, and split a meat course). That is about 110 euro. That leaves you 40 euro for museums, snacks, etc...

Rome will cost a little more because the lodging is more expensive. Travel smart, eat breakfast at cafes (stand at the counter, don't sit), eat lunch at sandwich or pizza shops, and for dinner don't eat right in front of a tourist trap. Eat around the corner where the food is usually better and cheaper. Bottom line, eat where the locals eat.

Posted by
22 posts

The E150 does not include lodging. I am hoping to stay in apartments in Florence and Rome to maybe save on a dinner or two in case money is low at the end of our trip. (Rome for 5 nights is the last stop) Thank you for the advice so far>

Posted by
1446 posts

Mike, 150 euros/day is very doable if it doesn't include lodging. I don't think you'll have any problems. Have a great trip.

Posted by
3250 posts

Hi Mike,

This site has gotten good reviews thought I haven't personally used them:

Cross Pollinate

Posted by
689 posts

Mike,

Not including lodging, you should be fine!

Safe Travels!

Posted by
22 posts

I forgot to mention, the 150 is for both of us. Thanks

Posted by
689 posts

Mike,

Share meals! We often do that. We order one pasta and one other item, either veggie or meat. And we share it. We have never had a problem with that, most waiters will bring the extra plate. It is their right to charge for an extra plate, but we have never been charged.

Posted by
39 posts

You shouldn't have any problems as long as you avoid the tourist traps. Little "bars" (really cafes) are great and dishes end up being like $6-10 euro's each. You don't have to share and you can enjoy what the locals eat. It's also fun to go to the markets i.e. Mercato San Ambrogio in Florence to buy fresh bread, cheese, salami and grab a bottle of wine to enjoy on the patio or courtyard of your B&B or hotel. Using the Roma Pass in Rome is very cost-effective for transportation and museums and easy too.

Posted by
1589 posts

" I forgot to mention, the 150 is for both of us. Thanks "

Mike, define " nice meal ". This is too vague to give accurate advise.

Posted by
1446 posts

Mike, I forgot to ask you if you plan on doing any tours (i.e. in Rome, etc.). If so, you might be stretched a little thinner with your budget. If not, I don't see why you can't make it on 150 euros/day. We took 3 tours in Rome & they were a little pricey but well worth it.

Also, some advice about wine. Ordering the house wine In Italy usually equals a good value. From what I've been told, the house wines in Italy are usually nice selections and priced very reasonably. We tend to think of the house wines in the U.S. as being cheaper quality but this is not the case in Italy. I don't drink wine but my husband ordered wine with every dinner (always the house wine) & he was always pleased. So, this is one way to further stretch your budget but still enjoy a nice glass of wine! Happy travels.