Please sign in to post.

Dumb question

Can I take olives home to the USA. Or is that considered fruit/ vegetable and a nay nay. Thanks

Posted by
10234 posts

That's a great question! I don't know the answer. When you find the answer, could you post it.

Posted by
7049 posts

Maybe if they're vacuum sealed (I'd be afraid if a jar breaks in transit and that "olive smell" gets all over my stuff)...but the question is, why would you want to given that you can get (imported) olives anywhere including Trader Joes, Whole Foods, or other grocery markets? I would think in Boston you're golden for Italian goods of any kind. I try to do everything I can to mark "no" on that customs form on just about every question. I've seen customs agents go through peoples' stuff at JFK which consisted of lots and lots of jars of mushrooms and other preserved vegetables (as a caveat, all of it looked homemade).

Posted by
7737 posts

That's not a dumb question. A dumb question is: "Where are the fifteen other chapels?" when you're standing in the Sistine Chapel.

Posted by
12040 posts

If they're canned and sealed, no problem. If not... potential problems.

Posted by
313 posts

Agnes,
I'm in Puglia and the olives are so good and fresh. dont want to take them home if it's not allowed. We bought some and they are in a plastic bag. Yes, I live in Boston but these olives are better

Posted by
7049 posts

I believe it. But that's why they're so good...it's because they're very fresh. I would enjoy the heck out of them locally, that's reason enough to return. If I could just bottle some the stuff I had in Italy and have it forever, it would be wonderful :-) But I can only dream about it now...

Anyway, unless they're in a commercial type container that can be stored in your luggage, I would not take them back with you in just a plastic bag (never mind the chance of spilling). Customs will be all over it.

Posted by
487 posts

If it is an unopened vacuum packed plastic bag it should be okay. If it is a Ziploc bag, not okay.

Posted by
1321 posts

We bought a jar of jelly - emptied it and placed the olives in the jar - they made it through

If it's in a sealed, commercial jar or can - no problem. If the jar has liquid in it - then you have to put it in checked luggage, not carry-on. We checked a family "dirty laundry" bag filled with dirty clothes. We took jars of honey and sauce, wrapped them in plastic, and buried them in the middle of the laundry to protect them. The items and our laundry survived. Perhaps, we should carry an empty plastic "seal tight" type box next time.

Posted by
15852 posts

Sealed cans or jars with liquid will have to go into checked luggage; worth the mention as so many RS people travel only with carry-ons.

Posted by
15250 posts

Have them put in a vacuum sealed bag.
If not possible, buy a jar of olives at the supermarket. Empty the contents. Refill it with the fresh olives you got, close the lid tightly. If you fill the jar with salty water or olive oil, you need to put them in the checked baggage. They'll think you bought them at the store.

Posted by
3 posts

I have brought olives home many times, especially from Spain. Just buy them in a vacuum sealed package - no problem!

Posted by
313 posts

Update: Came home today with the olives. We had bought the olives at a farmers market in Noci. They put them in a plastic bag with the olive juice. We bought a plastic container of vinegar peppers for 1 euro. We thru out the peppers, emptied the plastic bag of all the olive juice and put the plastic bag of olives in the plastic jar. We then put it in a bag full of souvenirs we brought on the plane. We had no problem.
Thanks to all who helped me with this.