Please sign in to post.

Dropping off rental car in Rome

We are picking up a car in La Spezia and dropping it off in Rome a week later (where we will be staying). Any thoughts on where it would be easiest in terms of traffic (for someone who has never driven in Italy) to drop it off . I have searched this topic here and see that most agree to avoid Termini but no consensus about alternatives. Some say the airport, some suggest another place in Rome, some Spoleto, some Terni, some Frosinone (places I've never heard of). Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you...

Posted by
23546 posts

Termini is pretty easy to reach so I would consider that. I have never done it but is often recommended is to use a train stop just short of Rome, drop the car, and take train into Rome.

Posted by
60 posts

Thanks. I think the main reason people say avoid Termini is because it is rather chaotic.

Posted by
357 posts

We’ve rented through Autoeurope, from Hertz, and found it very easy to return the cars to the Rome airport.

Posted by
15826 posts

Coming through which route and which car rental company?
Fiumicino airport would not make any sense to me if you come from the A1 freeway from Tuscany. I would consider it only (maybe) if coming from Civitavecchia (A12).