Please sign in to post.

Driving trip

We arrive in Florence and spend 2 nights, then pick up a car. We are thinking of driving to Sienna etc.
I am happy to drive 2/3 hrs per day. We thought about staying in each area 2/3 nights at each area
We are seniors, my husband is 87 walks slowly etc. we love the idea of visiting hill top villages, stopping for coffee etc. my concern is, my husband walks with a cane and a little unsteady. Are all the towns cobbled streets. Also noting that we could not take the car into the villages, so, having parked the car would the walk into the village do.able? I feel this will be our last trip abroad(flying in from California)
Ny suggestions please for a 14 day itinerary that we could make work
Will really appreciate a suitable plan

Posted by
50 posts

He can walk slowly for an hour or more, but difficult if it is too hilly. I think he is afraid of falling on cobbled streets. Just hoping there are enough places that would be safe as we would love to go as we have never been to Italy. Are we being a little ambitious given his age?
I was looking at Val d,Orcia, Sienna, voltarra, Cortona and around that area. Just idea,s?

Posted by
11156 posts

Some hill top towns require you to park cars down below. You have to be very careful when choosing which places to visit. You can park near the top of Siena. Many of the Chianti villages directly south of Siena have flatter topography as do some in Umbria. Castellina in Chianti, Radda, Gaiole in Tuscany. You can drive up to Volterra and Cortona.
Bevagna in Umbria too. Hopefully other posters will add more.
I am looking at photos of Italy and brick walkways or newer blocks of stone pathwaysvare shown in some. Trying to figure out which towns and will get back to you when I know where photos were taken.

Posted by
6046 posts

Pienza is a lovely flat hill town
Lucca is also another option, not a small town but it is flat!

Posted by
3046 posts

Several points:

1) Driving in Italy requires that you understand the ZTL situation. These are sections of many towns where you cannot drive. If you do drive into them, you get big fines months after you return.
2) We are going from Siena to Florence, all on trains and buses.
3) Depending on the age of OP, you should determine if car rental is possible. There are age limits in some places
4) It is possible to hire private drivers.

US tourists are convinced that car rental is a good thing. After 10 trips to Europe in the last 15 years, we (70 and 73) are convinced that car rental is almost never needed. We use FlixBus, trains, local transit, and find that this is easy, cheap, and convenient. For one thing, train stations are often central in towns, while parking is on the outskirts.

Posted by
2109 posts

I think Volterra would be a good choice for one of your stops. There is an underground parking practically underneath the town with easy steps that lead right into the main street. Volterra is relatively flat and easy to walk. It is also small, not much walking would be needed to get to an outdoor cafe.

Siena and San Gimignano are more hilly and would present a bigger walking challenge. Greve is flat and there is a great free public parking lot a block from the main square. Castellina and Radda are a little more hilly but not as much as Siena and San Gimignano.

If I recall, there is usually a sidewalk next to the cobbled streets that would make walking easier. I just pulled up some images from Radda, San Gimignano and Volterra and many of the streets are flagstone, not cobblestone and offer an easy walking surface.

Have a great trip!

Posted by
15582 posts

I was in Umbria and Tuscany earlier this year with a car. I had more trouble and frustration driving there than in any past trips (Sicily, Amalfi Coast, Portugal, Spain, France). I used a Garmin and google maps on my phone and often got conflicting directions. Italian signage was sorely lacking. Some hotels in hill towns may offer parking within the historic center. Otherwise parking is outside and often requires walking up stairs or hills or both. If you are planning to day trip to other towns, you'll have to park outside/below the walls. Some of the towns are fairly flat, a lot are not. A few towns have elevators, escalators or moving walkways from some parking areas. The streets are mostly (all?) paved with small paving stones or bricks. While they aren't very rounded, they can be uneven. I remember Siena being all up/down.