Please sign in to post.

Driving to interlaken from lake como

Does anyone have experience doing this in october

Posted by
91 posts

2 years ago we drove from Interlaken to Lake Como. Leaving Interlaken it is a windy 2 lane road. I wish we had more time to spend in Lugano. What is your question?

Posted by
35 posts

Weather in October snow.. Is there a special fee to drive into Switzerland from Italy?

Posted by
35 posts

Can you buy the vignette before getting to the border

Posted by
91 posts

We were in Interlaken the second week in Oct. The weather was nice, in the 60's. Taking a tram and/or train up the mountains the temperature drops, so take a light jacket or sweater. Again, we drove from Interlaken to Italy and there were no problems. In fact, entering Italy from Switzerland the border person just waived us through saying "go ahead mister"

Posted by
2829 posts

You need a vignette crossing into Switzerland. It costs CHF 40.

Posted by
2829 posts

Yes. They usually sell it at the border or immediately before.

Posted by
11294 posts

Susan: A vignette (pronounced veen-YET-tah) is a sticker that goes on your car. Instead of having toll roads where you pay on each road, as in the US or France, in Switzerland, Austria, and some other countries, you buy the vignette before you enter any toll roads, and you are then covered for the specified period, without having to pay again. I believe in Austria, you can buy short term ones, like 2 weeks; I believe in Switzerland, it's only available for a calender year. (Notice the hedge words; I've never driven in these countries, so if you're going, double-check). If you are renting a car in a country that requires a vignette, it usually already has one; if you are renting in another country (as in this case, starting in Italy), it won't. I read a post, somewhere, about someone who took a daytrip in a car from Southeastern France into Switzerland, and they had to buy the annual vignette, even though they only used it for one day. They complained that this made for a very expensive daytrip. And there was a post here, a few months ago, about someone who inadvertently rode for a short distance on a toll road in Austria without a vignette, and got a hefty fine.