Please sign in to post.

driving time

I will be renting a car and driving from Rome to Urbino. Mapquest lists the driving time as 3 hours, 15 minutes. Is this amount of driving time accurate for the distance of about 175 miles?

Posted by
3551 posts

I always plan on more time than mapquest says everywhere in Europe. Just back now from Germany and France but have driven in summer in Italy alot.. even when you take the autoroutes. realize that there are toll roads, that exits are few and far in between. if you add 45 minutes to your time you will be ok if you are taking all toll roads and not minor country roads which can be very slow.

Posted by
3 posts

Janice,

You might want to try http://www.viamichelin.com as a resource.

The times seemed fairly accurate on my trip to Italy last year.

Plus, the site estimates tolls and petrol (gas) costs for you as well!

Posted by
34 posts

Just returned from Italy ... I agree with previous poster ... whatever time you estimate - generally add 15-45 minutes in your mind to have a more realistic time frame. Autostrada is great - fast - but any routes to hilltowns tend to be mtn. roads and slow you down quite a bit. At first we looked at the kilometers and guessed (by how fast we drive) how long it would take & we always seemed to be in the care a 1/2 to 1 hour more than that. We had kids with us so extra time in the car was noticed by them too! Had a great time - saw a lot - but pit stops helped a lot ( they have MANY more 'rest stops' with stores/gas on their highways than we do int the states ). GOOD LUCK - HAVE FUN!