Please sign in to post.

Driving S-222 suggestions

I'm in the final stages of planning a trip to Tuscany - a family trip to celebrate my aunt and uncle's 50th anniversary - and as always have found some excellent suggestions from this board. Here's my question for the experts (you guys!): the drive along the S-222 looks amazing and well worth the time. What can you suggest that would not be wine related as I don't drink. I found a reply from Roberto a while ago that suggested there is a sort of 7-11 type wine dispensary which sounds fun for those in my group drinking (do we bring our own bottles or shall they just plan in drinking from the spigot?....joking, joking!...) Suggestions on where to stop for lunch?

Thank you!
Lisa

Posted by
15158 posts

The place is in Greve, next to the Despar grocery store. Just park across the creek, there is a parking lot. No bottles necessary. You just buy a prepaid card for any denomination you wish from €10 to €10000, if you really want to drink a lot. They will give you a wine glass too. All around the shop there are dozens of special wine dispensers (each with a bottle upside down). Choose the labels you want to try, insert the card in the dispenser's slot and push the button to pour a taste in your glass. Each taste costs €1 to "quite a bit" depending on the wine, which is deducted from your card. Once you run out of funds in the card, just walk to the cash register (if you can still walk) and replenish the card with more money. Repeat until able to stand up.

There are several restaurants in Greve and also along the way. I used to go to a restaurant in Chiocchio (pronounce: Kyokkyo), between Strada and Greve, just pass the crossroads for Cintoia, that specialized in funghi porcini. I think it was called Gano. Not sure it exists anymore, it's been a long time. Just ask locals around any of those towns. They'll suggest something good.