Please sign in to post.

driving in tuscany

my wife and i are staying in florence 1 week and siena 1 week. my question is when in siena is it best to rent a car to visit hill top towns for that week and how dificult is it. Or is there a better way. thank you

Posted by
10344 posts

Renting a car is the most efficient and flexible way to explore the hill top towns of Tuscany. But having a rental car overnight in Siena is not optimal: the hassle of overnight parking and traffic. Best if you see Florence and Siena without the car, and then rent the car for exploration of the Tuscan hill towns. If it's unavoidable to have the car while sleeping in Siena, try to get accommodations that specifically mention they offer/facilitate overnight parking (such accommodations are usually not located in the historic center).

Posted by
606 posts

"If it's unavoidable to have the car while sleeping in Siena, try to get accommodations that specifically mention they offer/facilitate overnight parking (such accommodations are usually not located in the historic center)."

Building on what Kent says above, I'd specifically recommend against staying in the historic center if you have a car, even if the place you're staying does have parking arrangements. The old town streets are so narrow, sharp turns with floods of tourists walking everywhere, that' it's just not worth the grief to try to drive there. Add to that the limited traffic zone worries: they'll fine you big time if you drive in there and your hotel doesn't call the police to say it's OK (or if the hotel does call, but the info gets "lost").

Either stay in the historic center then take a taxi to pick up the car as you leave Siena, or stay outside the center, where you can safely and easily park the car, and take a taxi into the center when you want to sightsee. If you're right at the edge of the center, you can take a taxi in, then walk back to your lodging, or walk downtown and taxi home later. It might be too tiring to walk both ways.

Posted by
41 posts

thanks mike and patrick, you answered my question perfect.

Posted by
1170 posts

Do not rent a car until you are ready to leave Florence. You won't need a car, nor should you drive in Florence as there are the dreaded ZTL's discussed all over this helpline. Check into it. I rented a car to go to Siena for a day trip. I rented from the airport to avoid accidentally driving into the city center where you can get steep fines (see ZTL). Take a taxi to the airport and rent from there. The Autostrada is nearby. You should purchase and learn to use and program a GPS before you leave for Italy. I wouldn't drive Tuscany or anywhere else in Italy without one. Getting to Siena involves going through small towns with numerous roundabouts along the way. Without a GPS you will get lost. I don't care how good you are with a map! Streets and roads are not adequately marked. This is the way to go.

Posted by
2023 posts

We have driven into Siena when the hotel did not inform us of which porta to enter--it was a nightmare --drove through the city. Picked up a rental car(Avis) near the Arno in Florence and managed to get out of the city okay but returning it was a real hassle. IMO a week in each of those towns would not be a good thing. Others will probably disagree, but one or two of the hill towns would be a nice change of pace. Florence is very crowded and intense--we were there in May and were very happy to leave after a few days.

Posted by
10344 posts

Question: What are ZTL's?

These are ZTL's (click the link below): Florence hands out one of these per minute (yes, per minute), drive past one automatic camera and it will cost you $150, drive past two of them (in a few minutes time) and it will cost you $150 x 2, etc.

these are ZTL's