Please sign in to post.

Driving in Tuscany

Hi Im trying to coordinate my 4 to 5 days in Tuscany and wanted your advice on whether to rent a car and drive through tuscany and visit all of the wonderful towns along the way. Im a little nervous driving in italy so would prefer to not drive where there is not much traffic. I was thinking to take a train from Florence to Sienna and exploring the day on sept 22 and Sept 23 take a train and go to Montalcino staying the night possibly and renting a car there and the next day go San Gimignano and then drive back Montalcino where we stay the night and the next day take a train to Rome.

Not sure if it would be easier to hire a chauffer to take me and my friends to these towns or just brave it out and do the wonderful drive. Im pretty adventerous anyways. What advice do you have in terms driving in italy and what do you recommend in terms of where to stay to be able to get to some of these towns by car or train?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Posted by
15210 posts

You need to do a bit more homework because it's obvious you haven't yet.

The best mode of public transportation from Florence to Siena is the bus, not the train. And absolutely no train can take you to Montalcino since no railway goes there. No car rental company is available in Montalcino either.

If you don't want to rent a car, stay in Florence. It's the public transportation hub of Tuscany. Or go to Siena and use Siena as a base if you intend to visit the Val d'Orcia area. If you are willing to rent a car, which I recommend to properly see Tuscany, rent it in Florence and head to a small town or countryside out of town hotel or farmhouse/villa somewhere in the Siena area.

Montalcino, Montepulciano, Pienza, Monteriggioni, San Gimignano, or whatever in that area, are all fine to use as base with a rental car.

Posted by
11613 posts

You can visit all those places by bus. I would choose a base, maybe two, and daytrip from there. You can see plenty by bus. Or, take a day tour that stops at a couple of towns, a winery, and provides lunch for a nice, full day out of Firenze or Siena, and not worry about drinking and driving.

Posted by
32219 posts

If you decide to rent a car, a few points to keep in mind.....

For driving in Italy, EACH driver will require the compulsory [i]International Driver's Permit,[/i] which is used in conjunction with your home D.L. Failure to produce an I.D.P. if requested [u]can result in fines on the spot[/u]! You can easily obtain an I.D.P. at any [i]CAA / AAA[/i] office for a small fee (Passport photos required).

You may also want to have a look at some of the other posts here concerning the dreaded Zona Traffico Limitato (limited traffic) areas that are becoming increasingly prevalent in many Italian towns & cities especially Florence, which is almost saturated with automated ZTL cameras. EACH PASS through one of the automated Cameras will result in a €100+ ticket, which you won't know about until several months after you return home! This website provides more information - http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/driving/traffic_cameras_speeding.htm

There's also the issue of parking tickets, high fuel costs, tolls and automated speed cameras including the devious Traffic Tutor system which measures not only instantaneous speed but also average between two points. Violate either or both parameter and expensive tickets will follow.

Happy motoring!

Posted by
275 posts

My wife and I were in Toscana last Spring for a week and had no problems with traffic (roads at that time were generally lightly traveled). Small towns are easy to drive in and easy to find parking. Granted, the parking may be a stout walk from where you want to go, but we had no problems with it. I don't see any reason to be nervous about driving in rural areas. Cities are another matter: if you're not used to driving in European cities, it could be a bit challenging. Not insurmountable, but it may take a few hours to get a feel for how drivers behave in the area.

We rented a car from the Firenze airport. In hindsight, we should have just driven our car from our home in France, but it was our first time in the area and we didn't really think through the distances and time. Our base was an agriturismo near Pienza. As for fuel costs, I don't recall Italy being especially different from other EU nations.

The IDP is not compulsory if you have a license issued by an EU member nation -- those are universally recognized within the EU.
http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/vehicles/driving-licence/driving-licence-recognition-validity/index_en.htm

If you have an American or Canadian license (or one from some other non-EU nation), then you'd best get an IDP.

Posted by
2116 posts

I'd like to offer a different experience regarding driving in Italy. We spent a wonderful 10 day vacation in Tuscany, renting a car at Rome FCO and returning it there.

First of all, I agree with Roberto. You need to do some more research. You don't have much time in the region and you need to get a clear idea of what you want to see. If you plan to spend almost all of your time in Siena, San Gimignano and Montalcino, renting a car doesn't make a lot of sense because you'll be parking it outside the towns and walking in the ZTL areas Ken mentioned. Also, if you want to include a visit to a winery or two in the Tuscan countryside, unless you have a designated driver, taking a small tour or hiring a car and driver may make more sense.

OTOH, we loved the freedom afforded by having our own car. This allowed us to keep our schedule fluid and explore back roads and small towns we would not have seen otherwise. There's a big difference between seeing something interesting from a bus as you whiz by and seeing something interesting (Etruscan ruins, for example) and being able to stop and explore for as long as you like.

Finally, I'd like to address driving in Italy for you and any others who may read this thread looking for information. What kind of driver are you? If you are an assured defensive driver who doesn't rack up speeding tickets and don't have frequent accidents, you should have no problems driving in Italy if you do a little homework before you leave.

Yes, many cities and towns have ZTL's. They are very well marked and anyone who does some homework on signage and studies maps should have no problems avoiding them.

Yes, the Autostrada has the Tutor system (this should not be a factor for you). The Autostrade is a toll road and it also has cameras placed at intervals to calculate average time. Observe the speed limit and you won't have any problems. We also took frequent stops at the wonderful Autogrills where we enjoyed a real cup of coffee or an excellent Panini. This helps with the average speed.

There are speed cameras in the countryside and in towns. Again, just observe the speed limits and you'll be fine. The intent is not to rush from one place to another, but to enjoy the scenery. Every once in a while there would be a local driver who wanted to go faster than we did. I'd just find the closest place turn off and let them pass. Most of the time I'd get a wave of appreciation.

Posted by
15210 posts

You need to decide what you want to see in Tuscany and where you want to be based. If all you care to see is Florence and Siena, and maybe San Gimignano, then a car is useless. Just stay in Florence and use public transportation.

If you prefer to be based in a small town or countryside, and you want to see those villages south of Siena, then a car is better.

Regarding concerns about driving in Italy:
ZTL are well signaled, just park outside of it.
Speed Safety Tutor system is only on the Autostrade and therefore you must maintain an average speed of 85 mph to be fined.
The Autovelox machines, are on fixed points, and if you use the Waze navigation app you get alerts before approaching one.
The challenge for American drivers is that road and city streets, are narrower than in North America, so if you are the type that can't park a car in a 2 car garage without scratching the walls, or if you don't know how to parallel park in a small place, you will have some challenges.

Posted by
906 posts

There seems to be a lot of trepidation about driving in Italy found on this forum. I don't know why other than the unknown. Italy isn't some scary place with terrible roads and drivers. It is a very safe place to drive as long as YOU are a good driver. Simply drive as you do at home and pay attention to the law and signage. You will ultimately enjoy your visit more than busses and trains, I certainly do.

Posted by
4105 posts

Driving in Tuscany as stated above is easy. But if you're uncomfortable, these tours are an alternative, and will fulfill your desired locations.

https://www.getyourguide.com/-l435/-tc172/?cmp=ga&campaignid=820330303&adgroupid=43207225195&targetid=aud-295254369966:kwd-308463208945&loc_physical_ms=9041438&matchtype=e&network=g&device=m&creative=195236294125&keyword=day%20trips%20from%20siena&adposition=1t1&partner_id=CD951&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzMLn5-i91QIVDqdpCh1T_Qg4EAAYASAAEgLEZPD_BwE

As Zoe mentioned busses will get you to all of them. Just check with the local travler information booth.

Posted by
1829 posts

Florence and it's surrounding area has plenty of traffic.
Outside of Florence the majority of Florence and the type of side roads around Montalcino have very little traffic at all. I imagine less than what you are already used to back home and the driving is just as simple as well ; not adventurous at all.

To rent a car you will need to be in a more populated area but if you only need to drive out away from the direction of traffic that is not hard.

If you do your research before you land you will have no issues.
More than 90% of the issues are because a visitor arrives and drives around like they are at home, ignoring present signage and in general with no regard to the fact they are in another country which might have different rules and regulations.

Posted by
227 posts

I am renting a car in city center of Florence. Based on maps I have seen the car rental agency is in a ZTL. How do I drive out the agency and back and not be ticketed? Thanks