Please sign in to post.

Driving in Tuscany

Just got back from 3 wonderfull weeks in Tuscany. I took advice from this blog about using a GPS while driving around in Tuscany. BEST ADVICE ever, would have been totaly imposible without it. Thank you all for the great advice. RUSS

Posted by
3250 posts

Hi Russ,

For future reference, where did you pick up and drop off your rental car? Thanks!

Posted by
41 posts

Hi Sharon, we stayed 10 days in Florence, did some day trips on trains, then cabbed it to the airport and picked up car and drove to Siena. Siena was home base for another week and we drove to many, many hill top villages. Then we drove back to the Florence airport and flew home. WONDERFUL just don't forget the nuvi 275 incredible. I most of the time just followed the purple road as when she(garmin) talked, the italian names were so long and sounded so funny it was dificult, but the purple road on device was perfect. HAVE FUN RUSS

Posted by
58 posts

Hi Russ:

Since you were just there, could you (or anyone) offer me some advice please? In June, I'm heading to italy for 3wks and two of my stops are Florence and Siena...four days each. Do you think there is enough to see/do in Siena if I don't have a car? I could always add a day to Florence or Rome.

Many thanks.

Posted by
606 posts

Jan: "Do you think there is enough to see/do in Siena if I don't have a car?"

Sure. First day, just walk around the old town a little, visit Il Campo. Second day do the duomo, take the city minibus tour. By this time, you will have "done" Siena, but there are cooking classes to be had within the old walls and day trips outside the town you can book that don't require you having a car. Wine tours and such.

Or, add a day in Florence or Rome. But on a fifth day in either place you'll possibly also be looking for a cooking class or wine country tour!

Or add Orvieto as an overnighter out of Rome. Cannot go wrong there. EVERYBODY loves Orvieto, and it's great after dark when the daytrippers leave. Well worth an overnight stay at Hotel Duomo. Good train service from Rome to Orvieto, and a funicular to take you from the train station up into town and back.

Posted by
58 posts

Thank you Steve, I feel reassured. I am going solo and definitely want to take a cooking class. My concern was that it is a town where you have to adventure OUT of after a day or two. It is between my time in Florence and Rome, so it will likely offer me some relaxation too, which will be welcomed!

Grazi!

Posted by
606 posts

Jan: "I am going solo and definitely want to take a cooking class."

To get you started, click HERE. It lists several cooking classes in Florence, and for Siena scroll down to the 5th one, "Siena - Lesson with Chef Elisabetta".

"Join Elisabetta and Marco, both fluent in English and passionate about cooking, for a wonderful learning experience in their cooking class. Their approach is characterized by a reverence for fresh ingredients, simple preparation and a harmonious combination of ingredients to bring out the natural flavors of food. The classes are held at the Siena Cooking School located inside the medieval walls of Siena. In each class a complete menu is prepared, and the session is followed by the meal complete with a DOCG wine.

Available year-round upon request for a minimum of two.

Morning class: 11AM-2PM
Available Monday through Saturday.

Evening class: 6PM-9PM
Available Monday through Friday.

Prices
US$180 per person"

Posted by
58 posts

Patrick, thank you for all the information! I am very eager to take a cooking class over there...I can smell the food already...YUMO. Steve, I can hardly wait to eat gelato as I am an ice cream fanatic and it's THE best in Italy. Love the photo! Thank you. I am so grateful for all the advice I garner from this forum.