Please sign in to post.

Driving in Rome

I am driving from San Marino to Rome. I will drop off my car in Rome. We are staying near the Rome Termini train station. How hard will it be to drive to the center of Rome to drop off my car? Or, should I drop off at the Airport and hire a cab to my hotel?

Posted by
15130 posts

Drop the car at the airport. But instead of an expensive cab, take the Leonardo Express train to Termini. Much cheaper.

Posted by
5664 posts

I agree with Frank. The Leonardo Express is cheaper and so very easy.

Posted by
11209 posts

How many in the car at drop off?

A cab my be reasonable for 2 or more, for the convenience of drop at the door service and not lugging baggage on a train.

Posted by
6439 posts

Do you have to drop it off in Rome? If you don't need it between San Marino and Rome my suggestion would be to get rid of it somwhere closer to San Marino and take the train to Rome.

Posted by
15221 posts

Why can’t you drive the car to the Termini drop off location?
All rental car returns are at this Parking Garage structure (top two levels):
Park Giolitti
https://goo.gl/maps/fJtfFkrZkAw4bRwk7
I always return my rental cars in Rome here.

Save it on your Google maps and follow the directions. Why do you want to make life hard for yourself?

Posted by
6919 posts

I agree with Roberto: the airport is on the wrong side of town coming from S Marino, and it will add a lot of hassle to get there. Coming from the Northeast you really only have to drive a short distance in the streets of Rome to reach Termini Station, and you will stay several blocks away from any ZTL.

Posted by
11348 posts

Driving around Rome to return at FCO is unnecessary. You will need nerves of steel to drive to Termini, but it is doable. (We lived there for nearly 5 years and driving in the city never got easier.) Personally, I would drop the car in Rimini and take a relaxing train to Bologna then on to Rome.