Please sign in to post.

driving in Italy

Please advise as to the necessity for obtaining an International Driving Permit for travel in the Tuscany regions of Italy. We are USA citizens/residents with valid drivers' licenses. with photo.Is the IDP worth the $15 from AAA? why, or why not?

Posted by
8124 posts

I've had the International Drivers License 3 times, but have never been checked. But there's always a chance of needing it. It's not worth the risk not to have it available.

Posted by
850 posts

Since Italy requires an IDP I would spend the few dollars and get it. Odds are you will not have to show it anywhere but if you do and don't have it you are subject to a large fine on the spot. For peace of mind I would get it.

Posted by
791 posts

They do random stops in Italy. If you're stopped they will ask for it. It's worth the $15 and half hour to get it. Also, technically speaking, you should need it to get your rental. Chances are you won't be asked for it but it'd be a real bummer to get to the counter and get the one guy that wants to see it.

Posted by
791 posts

Prego. Be sure to also have your actual license with you too. The IDP doesn't replace it but just serves as a translation.

Posted by
32198 posts

Cheryl, While you may never be asked for an I.D.P., keep in mind that it's compulsory to have one. If you are asked and can't produce one, you'll be fined on the spot and it will be more than $15! In the even you're involved in an "incidente stradale" and don't have an I.D.P., your vacation experience will likely turn unpleasant very quickly. You might find it helpful to have a look at the excellent www.roninrome.com website, as he has some a section covering I.D.P.'s. Also, be sure to be vigilant for the dreaded Zona Traffico Limitato areas (especially in Florence), as transgressing those will result in expensive fines! Happy travels!