Please sign in to post.

driving in italy

Planning to drive from the Amalfi coast north possibly staying between Lucca & Portofino. What are the coastal roads like and pleasee share any info on tolls & accessibliltiy to gas & lodging en route. Thank you
Cyndy

Posted by
32212 posts

Cyndy, A few "caveats" on driving in Italy..... It's important to note that for driving in Italy, each driver must have the compulsory International Driver's Permit, which is used in conjunction with your home D.L. These are valid for one year, and easily obtained at any AAA office (two Passport-sized photos required, which in some cases are provided by the issuing office). Failure to produce an IDP if requested can result in fines on the spot! Have a look at This Website for more detailed information on driving in Italy. You may also want to search other Posts here regarding the Zona Traffico Limitato areas that are becoming increasingly prevalent in many towns in Italy (especially Florence!). EACH PASS through one of the automated Cameras will result in a €100+ ticket! A GPS along with a good Map would also be a good idea. Be sure to also give some thought to the question of CDW. If you accept the CDW offered by the rental firm, it will be expensive but will provide "peace of mind". Some "premium" credit cards provide rental vehicle insurance, however I've found this to be somewhat complicated so I just accept that offered by the rental firm. Check the Car Rental section in Europe Through The Back Door for further information. One point to make about fuel stops, is that some stations are unmanned at times, and the machines only accept "Chip & PIN" credit cards. It's just about impossible to provide lodging information, since there's no way of knowing which towns you might be stopping in. Travel by train would be much easier! Good luck and happy travels!

Posted by
32777 posts

That's a long trip. I've driven north to south, and south to north but only use the autostatrada. It would take a very long time that way. I would never have the patience to spend even more hours and hours in coastal road traffic. Sorry can't help.

Posted by
791 posts

I agree with Nigel. I've never driven that specific route but in general once you're off the autostrada driving will slow way down. You won't have tolls on these roads and you might catch some nice views (or you might not) but you'll spend more of your vacation time on the road. You will come across unmanned gas stations, the autostrada stations are always attended.

Posted by
2829 posts

Well, though you can drive along the coast mostly all the way, that'd take like 2 days if you chose to enter every village instead of using bypasses. Only the austostrade (control accessed highways) have tolls. Lodging in route as roadside motels practically don't exist in Italy but there are many towns, most of them rely on tourism and they all have hotels. No difficult there. Gas stations are common, mostly not the "Autogrill" type but smaller ones. No problems there either. On weekends or late at night they are likely to be unstaffed.

Posted by
2829 posts

Now, some tips of the most interesting sectors: - SS213 between Fornia and Sperlonga (the area immediate northwest of Napoli is a collection of uninspired low-cost lidos with nothing much to see from the road) - the Via Litoranea (SP 601) between Torvaianica and Lido di Ostia (goes through a swamp-of-sorts that played an important role in Roman times) - Orbetello and Monte Argentario (it is actually a detour to a promontorio, the views are stunning. I'd take the highway between Ostia and Orbetello to speed up). - the Via Aurelia itself immediatelly south of Livorno

Posted by
1633 posts

The coastal roads are a nightmare. Only drive them if you have to. Why? They are not only very narrow, but you are constantly dodging cars, trucks and mopeds. It is very stressful. There's a reason why most of the Italian cars in the coastal towns are dented and scratched. I would recommend staying on the more inland roads or the autostrada. As a previous poster stated, take along a good Michelin, or similar, map and possibly a GPS. Have fun driving, just limit your coastal driving.

Posted by
3696 posts

I drive all over Europe and thoroughly enjoy a road trip.I have driven the Amalfi Coast and that is not a trip I would like to take by car again. I love to drive the Autostrada and all over Tuscany, but that coast road is stressful as the above poster mentioned. If I go there again I will take the train and enjoy it and not be white-knuckled. Views are stunning if you can take your eyes off the road to see it.

Posted by
405 posts

Parking is very limited in Portofino. Sometimes the police won't allow cars in when it gets full; this often happens at busy times like weekends/high season. Whether you decide to take the car or train/public boat system, if you want to stay near Portofino, consider staying in Rapallo or Santa Margherita Ligure; both have more choice and lower prices than Portofino.

Posted by
127 posts

You will be all right. I approached driving the Amalfi Coast with great trepidation. No problem at all. The road is curvy but wide enough and offers great views. The only traffic problem I observed was the big tour buses having problems with some of the sharp corners. You will get to see Positano, Amalfi and Ravello. All are well worth a stop. Indeed, Ravello is "where the poets go to die." You will like Portofino. A lovely small port. There are places to stay outside of the town. The Cinque Terre is not that far away; well worth the "detour." Lucca is a beautiful, prosperous walled city. Many inexpensive pensions right outside the walls. Just drive around, you will see the signs. Two stars should do it - maybe 50 Euros a night? Breakfast included. The Autostrada is nice when you have long distances to cover. Just like in America - you get to your destination quickly but see nothing on the way. I prefer the secondary roads. Quick advice about driving in Italy. I have driven in many European countries; Italy is pretty much like the rest. These would be my suggestions: 1. Be sure to have an International Drivers License. 2. Spend an hour or so before leaving studying Italian traffic law. 3. Do NOT drink and drive; VERY serious offence. 4. Drive defensively. Finally, I have never opted for additional insurance; my Visa card does just fine. I had one incident in which I had to use it after a small accident in France. No problem whatsoever, I filled out the forms, presented them with the bill and it was paid. No deductible either. Good luck; you will not have any problems. Oh, yes. One final thing. When picking up your car examine it VERY carefully. Point out to the rental agency anything that is not right. Have them note it. Then when returning the car; be sure to have them SIGN your receipt that the car was returned without any damage.