Please sign in to post.

Driving in Italy

My friend and I were planning on renting a car when we went to Tuscany but neither one of us having an international drivers permit. Is it even possibly to rent a car without one? If so, through which rental company? She is already there and I fly out tomorrow so there is no time to get one!

Posted by
1633 posts

Our car rentals have always originated in either Germany or France. Three years ago, when we rented a car from Avis, through AutoEurope, we asked them if they wanted to see the international driver's license[INVALID]they did not, only the US license. Of course, things change and you never know. The IDL offers authentic international translations of pertinent passport and personal data to foreign officials. So, if you are pulled over by the polizei, they will want to see an IDL. Not having one would be the chance you would take. By the way, it would be less expensive to reserve and pay for your rental here in the States before you go. I'm not sure how long you want to rent. I rent from AutoEurope which might have a 7 day minimum. You could arrange for your rental online. Have fun on your trip!

Posted by
10222 posts

Auto Europe does not have 7 day minimum. Two weeks from now we are renting in Italy (Tuscany) for 4 days. I believe less time would be available. Auto Europe (www.autoeurope.com) is a consolidator. Our car is rented with Hertz in Italy and Avis in Germany. They are open 24 hours/day and you can call and talk to them if you have questions or would rather do it by phone. Their phone number is 1-800-223-5555. They are located in Maine.

Posted by
69 posts

They are very easy to get. We got ours at our local AA office. Took only 15 min. and $25.00.

Posted by
10222 posts

It is too bad you didn't plan ahead for this. AAA offices are not open on the weekends. Not where I live anyway. From what others have said here, the car rental agencies don't require that you show your IDP when you rent. It is only in the event that you are stopped by the police or if you have an accident that you will have a problem. An expensive problem. As Bridgette said, it only would have taken you 15 minutes and $15 (plus passport sized photo) to get one. Good luck!!

Posted by
32209 posts

Ashleigh, it's unfortunate you both didn't leave enough time to obtain an I.D.P. prior to departure (each driver requires an I.D.P. if both of you will be driving). While you might never be asked for it, if you should happen to experience any "difficulties" you could be fined on the spot for failure to produce one. I would also have suggested a GPS unit along with a good Map, and hopefully you'll have at least the Map. Be sure to watch for ZTL areas! Happy travels!