Please sign in to post.

Driving in Italy

We would like to drive from Lake Bled in Slovenia (near Ljubljana) to Bolzano Italy. We are wandering how to do this and if the roads are too difficult driving through the Dolomites. How long would it take? Any Ideas?.

Posted by
3586 posts

I'm not familiar with the exact route you've asked about, but we spent a week in the Dolomites this summer. The driving is taxing, to say the least. After a drive from Bolzano to Castelrotto and another from Castelrotto to Lago di Carezza, we were thrilled to find a bus tour of the Great Dolomites Road and to take the bus down to Bolzano for a day trip. Think hairpin turns without let up, mostly 2 lane roads, and much climbing and descending. If I remember correctly, it took an hour to get from Bolzano to Castelrotto, about 30 miles. You should also look into the drop charges for leaving the car in a different country, assuming you're renting. They can be very steep.

Posted by
10344 posts

The ViaMichelin website will enable you to answer your exact questions, it's the MapQuest of Europe. In general, Italy is one of the most expensive countries in which to rent a car. You won't be picking up in Italy but will be dropping off, it may be that the drop off fee is high, you'll want to check it all out.

Posted by
850 posts

The drop off fee could be very expensive. As suggested I would check it out before renting a car. As far as driving the great dolomite road we loved it. Stunning scenery and the photo ops are unlimited. With a car you can stop whenever you wish and take some nice shots or just sit and enjoy a nice picnic lunch while viewing the beautiful dolomites.