Please sign in to post.

Driving from Sorrento to Rome

My husband and I are travelling to Italy for 2 weeks this summer. Florence, Sorrento, and Rome. Originally my plan was to take the train from Sorrento to Rome (obvi with a stop in Naples to switch from the commuter to the high speed train). However, I just had a thought of driving. We have the full day for travelling. So, I have a few questions about this thought.....

1. Is there a place I can actually rent a car in Sorrento? I assumed so. I can google search this, so feel free to ignore this question....it's just my thinking out loud.
  2. Is there a place I can drop off the car outside of Rome (like airport?)?? Cause I dont want to come anywhere near the city with a two foot pole (plus, I would be the person driving in a restricted zone anyways)
  3. Are there any fun towns along the route to stop in? If not, then it kinda makes this driving trip a bit pointless as we would just see highway.
  4. And the overall big question....is this the dumbest idea on the planet or have people done this?

Thanks for any insight you can give me!

Posted by
16894 posts

It should not be hard to book a rental for those destinations, for instance through Auto Europe. The price will often be the same for one, two, or three rental days and I think it sounds like a hassle if you meant only one day. Rick hasn't identified any places where he thinks it's critical to stop, although the re-built abbey at Montecassino comes up on some people's itinerary. Locals may have more ideas. If you just get straight to the big city, it could mean that you have time for a nearer side trip during your stay.

Posted by
15271 posts
  1. Yes all major companies have offices in Sorrento.
  2. There are two airports in Rome, however there are numerous city locations that are far from the ZTL (restricted) and therefore with no risk of ending up inside. The Tiburtina station and the Termini station are both easy to reach coming from the A24/Tangenziale Est freeway (turn right on the Circonvallazione Tiburtina for the Tiburtina Station or turn left on the same Circonvallazione for Termini, very easy). I generally return the car at Termini. The rental car return at Termini is actually at the multi-story parking structure on the south side of the station next to the Radisson Blu hotel, at the corner between Via Giolitti and Via Mamiani. The entrance to the structure is on the Via Giolitti side. Just enter and go to the floor where your rental company is located (on the top floors).
  3. Gaeta and Sperlonga would be nice. They are along the coast, therefore you'd take that route rather than the freeway. If you go that way then it's better to return your car at a location in the EUR district. If you tell me the rental company, I can tell you the location.
  4. Not dumb at all. It's your vacation.
Posted by
26 posts

Many options for renting a car in Sorrento-we found Budget the best price-especially if you belong to Costco-as for stops en route to Rome look at Casserta-the town and palace look lovely-but alos-if American in Nettuno near Anzio is an American Militray Cemetary-that is worth a visit and staying in Nettuno an eacy drive to drop off the car the nexr day!!!

Posted by
693 posts

If you make the drive consider visiting the Palace at Caserta. The town is awful but the Palace and it's gardens are a little known treasure.