Please sign in to post.

Driving from Ortisei to Lake Como - most scenic route questions

Hi-
We were thinking of taking the more northern route (across the Stelvio Pass), but I just saw someone mention the Munt la Schera tunnel. Would we have to go through that? I went to the website for the tunnel and it looks like it's close for construction from September until November this year. Is there another scenic route to take? We're going to Menaggio in Lake Como. I know there's a route down around Lake Garda, but wasn't sure if it was scenic, or just highway.
Thanks!

Posted by
1643 posts

When I was a child the Brenner highway was being built in section, so for several years my father drove Milan to Dolomites along the west coast of Lake Garda to Riva and then Rovereto. Very scenic, but only the section along the lake.

Of course the Stelvio pass if very scenic, but consider it is mountain driving; if hairpin curves and cliffs worry you, you'd better drive a more level route. Do not try in bad weather. Be sure to have a look to photos of the east ramp before trying (something like https://travel.thewom.it/italia/lombardia/passo-stelvio-cosa-fare.html ). Also remember the pass may be closed for snow the better part of the year.