Please sign in to post.

Driving advice

Was seeking some advice on driving. We plan to visit Florence next May (Is that a good time) and after leaving Florence, renting a car to explore the area north. We do not want to rent in Florence because of all the driving rules but could take a train and rent from some other area. But have no idea where it might be, advice? How are the roads going up to Bergamo maybe heading through Modena or Bologna? Is it an easy drive through the area for is it better to stick to the trains? We would probably take about 3 to 4 days doing this. By the way we are in our 60's so that is also a factor. Thanks for any insight.

Posted by
439 posts

We did rent in Florence, it was a mistake. A few people mentioned that renting at the airport was easier. Other than in the cities and the main highway flooding, I did not find it hard to drive there.

Mary

Posted by
715 posts

I am in my 60s as well. I am a bit flummoxed as to why that is a factor in driving in Tuscany.

Read what Rick has to say about driving in Italy, also Google driving in Italy, check the slow travel website as they have info as well. Go to YouTube, they have some amusing videos as well.

Above all have fun .

Posted by
15168 posts

I don't know what the big deal is about renting a car in Florence. As long as you rent it on your way out (in other words you don't need a car while staying in Florence). If you are fearful of getting lost downtown (nearly impossible) just rent from an out of downtown location, such as Europcar on 2 via Forlanini, or Hertz on 53 via Sansovino (both are near the A1 freeway entrance to get out of town). The airport (also at the edges of town) is another option, although picking up at the airport will cost more because of airport fees.
Use a consolidator to rent a car for less from the aforementioned companies.
www.autoeurope.com
www.kemwel.com

Posted by
4152 posts

We used Avis and picked up outside the city without any issues at all. Getting onto the highway was very simple, no ZTL's to worry about. We will do it again next summer.

Donna

Posted by
12 posts

Thanks for all the great advice. We will check this out. Has anyone driven up to Varenna?

Posted by
32206 posts

One other point to note is that EACH driver will require the compulsory International Driver's Permit, which is used in conjunction with your home D.L. so you'll have to pack that along as well. I.D.P.'s are easily obtained for a small charge at any AAA office.

You'll need to be vigilant to avoid the ZTL (limited traffic areas) which are increasingly prevalent in many Italian towns (hefty fines), as well as automated speed cameras and the Traffic Tutor system which monitors both instantaneous speed as well as average between two points. Violate both and you'll get two tickets. Motorways have tolls and be sure to budget for parking.

Posted by
792 posts

I'm in my 60's, those little diesel stick shift cars are FUN to drive :-)

Posted by
15168 posts

Florence to Varenna is nearly all freeway driving. Not much different than driving on a freeway anywhere else. It can get intimidating on the Milan Tangenziale (beltway). Just follow the signs to tangenziale Est A51 first, then to Tangenziale Nord A52. Eventually you'll see a sign pointing to exit for LECCO.
You need to go toward Lecco and from there proceed up to Varenna.
If you can avoid the Tangenziale during commute hours, you will save yourself a lot of aggravation. It takes about 3 hours to get to Milan from Florence (plus pit stops). So time your departure from Florence so that you can avoid the Milan area after 4pm.

Posted by
12 posts

How do I know if a car rental is outside the city limits to avoid the ZTL?

Posted by
15168 posts

The only location in the city center is Borgo Ognissanti and via Maso da Finiguerra (same intersection).
All rental companies have an office in either street more or less near that intersection.
All other locations are away from the ZTL.
Avis in Florence is either on Borgo Ognissanti or at the Airport. They don't have other locations.
Europcar tends to be cheaper than Avis.
Hertz is also cheaper than Avis.
Use the consolidators I gave you above for best pricing.

Posted by
12 posts

Thank you all for all the information. We will rent a car outside Florence and drop it off t the Milan Centrale Train Stationand then board a train up to Varenna.

Now for some planning to visit the wine country. Does anyone have any advise on this?

Posted by
15168 posts

I don't see the benefit of renting a car just to drive from Florence to Milan Centrale. There isn't much to see along that drive, other than a boring flat plain. The train is much faster than the car (1 h 40 min vs 3.5 hours, or more depending on traffic, with the car).
If you purchase your tickets 3 to 4 months ahead of your travel, the train is much cheaper too, even for 2 or more people.

If all you want to visit is Bologna and some other cities, the car is not of much use in a city.

If you intend to take a few days to explore the countryside of Northern Italy by car, then you should keep the car at the lake as well, and maybe drive the Stelvio Pass or elsewhere nearby on the Alps. Then you can return your car when you depart at the airport.

Posted by
12 posts

Thank you Roberto for your input.

We do plan to use the car to drive through the wine region, ie Chianti (greve, fonterutoli, etc) and ultimately stay one night before heading north. Have heard that the car would provide far more flexibility when visiting this area. Our concern was parking and returning the car in Varenna vs Milan. Do you have any suggestions on a a two day itinerary for driving to Greve, etc?