Please sign in to post.

Dress codes in Italy

We are going to Italy in June -Venice, Salerno, and Rome. I know churches require long pants and covered shoulders but are there any other clothing restrictions we should plan for? I am reading online on various sites that Italians typically dress up more than people in other countries, i.e. no shorts in cities, no sneakers, etc. I don't want to stick out as a tourist for safety reasons but when traveling with 21 yr and 18 yr old who live in shorts and sneakers, this might be an issue, haha.

Posted by
2418 posts

Don’t worry about what you wear other than the church requirements - my sister was denied St. Marks in Venice because her arms were bare. Later for St. Peters she wore a dress with sleeves, but it was just above the knees and the nun at the door pulled her out. Two girls we had previously met in Salzburg had also been denied.

Posted by
861 posts

There is no dress code in Italy except for churches. Wear what makes you comfortable. Being a tourist or dressing comfortably is not a crime. You will see locals and visitors wearing short and (white) sneakers. The only time you may want to dress up a little is if you decide to dine at a high-end restaurant. Otherwise, be a respectful guest in Italy and enjoy your vacation.

Posted by
1336 posts

“ I don't want to stick out as a tourist for safety reasons”

I don’t want to be the bearer of bad news, but no matter how you dress, you will stick out as a tourist. You will be walking around looking at buildings and statues, you will be taking photos, you will consult a map or check your phone to find your way, you probably won’t be fluent in Italian, you will be out and about during the day instead of being at work etc etc

Posted by
237 posts

You're going to stick out as a tourist anyway. I walked into a pharmacy and the clerk started speaking English to me before I even opened my mouth. At the airport, the female security agent pointed me to the long line and said, "American? over there" before I even opened my mouth as I was trying to enter "fast track" to come home to Sweden, where I have lived for 40 years. They won't just know you are a tourist. Most likely they'll even know you're an American tourist or a French tourist or a German tourist.

Anyway, just wear whatever you would normally wear at home in the summer. I was in Rome 3 weeks ago and there are hoards of tourists absolutely everywhere. Short skirts, shorts, jeans, T-shirts, all kinds of shoes. We met a class of Italian teenagers. The girls were wearing what most girls wear in the summer.
The only thing is that you really do need comfortable shoes. The cobblestones are rough on your feet.

Posted by
707 posts

I lived there for 2 years (so not much experience) but in Salerno we almost NEVER wore shorts, skirts sometimes though. I wore shorts ONE time total (not Bermudas, shorter) and I got stares and even comments. It was on a beach day and I had to run back to my apartment to grab something and I was like "THAT'S why I don't wear shorts". It may have changed in 15 years, but also I know that its not part of the Italian style to be in shorts all the time and I haven't brought shorts to wear on a trip back either.

That being said (and as others have noted), you're a tourist. They will know. It won't be because of your clothing. I would just try your best to adhere to the church guidelines (as others have said, it probably depends on who is checking), hope for the best, and wear normal clothes. Being a target for pickpockets and such depends on more than your clothing.

I am going to Paris and Nice this summer for the Tour de France and Olympics and am almost only bringing shorts. Not SHORT shorts, but Bermudas and a bit shorter. I feel more ok as a tourist (during study abroad on "vacation" and going to France) wearing shorts as long as I am "decent". I will be ok.

Posted by
2329 posts

Honestly, don’t worry about looking like a tourist. I’m just back from Spain & Paris. No one cares what you are wearing, but as a tourist, it is very obvious who are locals and who are not. It’s just a different style, different way of carrying themselves. I’m sure it’s even more obvious to locals. Be pickpocket-proof and you will have no worries about safety.

Covered knees & shoulders are a requirement for many churches in Italy. I’ve seen people turned away at the door, or forced to buy paper cover ups. Carry a light scarf with you if you don’t meet the dress code, and put it over your shoulders or around your waist. Your 18 & 21 yo can do the same.

Posted by
865 posts

As in the US, age determines what is typically worn. Teens in Europe often wear shorts and sneakers. I often travel wearing sneakers and I'm 60+. Just don't look like a slob should be the standard.

And you mentioned "safety reasons". I have never felt unsafe in decades of European travel. Just don't do stupid things in stupid places while looking stupid. That will keep you safe more than how you are dressed. Does crime happen? Yep, just like everywhere else.

Posted by
1439 posts

The rubbernecking motion while you check out everything around you, and that baseball cap you’re wearing blow your cover as a tourist…

Posted by
707 posts

"Just don't do stupid things in stupid places while looking stupid"

ooo I like that Marc! That will deter most criminal problems :)

Posted by
201 posts

I wouldn’t wear jorts. It’s not that it’s a social faux pas, per se. It just looks bad, particularly if you don’t cut the stringy things. I also wouldn’t wear one of those fake glasses and mustache sets. It’s not a proper disguise and people can tell it’s you.

Posted by
7323 posts

Look up some recent YouTube videos of some specific sites in your cities, and you will see what people are wearing.

Posted by
2434 posts

Make sure your kids bring black sockettes to go with their white runners, that's the Italian style. Tell the kids to bring a more tailored style, at the knees, NO cargo pockets and they'll be good to go at any all Trattorias, Osterias and the like. I'm old and have been doing it for years.

IF it's hot a lot of Italians, both young and old, will be out and around in shorts - that's a given.

Posted by
15214 posts

Except for places of worship restrictions (and a pareo/scarf around your waist will do to cover your legs or shoulders), wear whatever you feel comfortable with and don't worry about it. After growing up in Florence and living there for so long, I can tell an American tourist from a local Italian no matter how hard one tries to camouflage. Even the hair style or the way a person smiles gives people away (to look like an Italian woman not only do you have to dress like one and have a hair style like one, but you have to look really mean and pissed off).

Posted by
27196 posts

Really, it's the churches that are the issue. They are all over the place, and they are lovely and historic. In addition, they may be lot cooler than the temperature out on the sidewalk. It's great to pop into a church for a few minutes to goggle at the mosaics or frescoes or paintings or other interior elements. Setting out from your hotel in the morning with knees, shoulders and midriffs not covered means you are not suitably attired to step into any Catholic church unless you are prepared with a large scarf (or two!) for covering up. I don't like to be limited in that way.

Posted by
7323 posts

”…to look like an Italian woman not only do you have to dress like one and have a hair style like one, but you have to look really mean and pissed off.”

LOL! Roberto, I will have to work on that look during the flight over to Italy. ; )

Posted by
84 posts

Fashion models always look angry. I assume they are just hungry. But, seriously, I live in New York and, even though many of our tourists are Americans, we can spot a tourist a mile away. On my first couple of trips to Europe I was surprised that people there so easily identified me as American. But then I traveled in Asia and realized I could tell the Americans tourists there from the European tourists easily. It does have much to do with facial expression and "bouncing" into a room. Americans are very open while Europeans tend to be more reserved in both their facial expressions and body language. However, if I wear a certain pair of pants in Europe I have been spoken to in Polish twice. Not sure what that's about but, given the pants, I'm pretty sure it's not a compliment, lol.

Posted by
3129 posts

Now we all need to know what the "Polish" pants look like??!!

Posted by
84 posts

They are the sort of thing one "might" wear on a long-haul flight or to pull on and nip out to pick up coffee in the morning. Loose, pull on type with an elastic waist and a black and white sort of "zebra" print. Sounds charming, I know, lol. I do hide/calm them with a tunic length plain black top. Irresistibly comfy but of limited use unless the laundry rinsed out the night before won't dry.