Please sign in to post.

dress code in italy

Can shorts be worn in the Vatican or in St Mark's Basilica in Venice?

Posted by
2030 posts

No shorts (or short skirts) should be worn in Italian Churches, by either men or women. And shoulders should be covered too.
Perhaps we need a separate "Shorts" Helpline?!

Posted by
7737 posts

No bare shoulders either. (This is a question that comes up often in this forum.)

Posted by
192 posts

Nope, and they have big signs outside of both to let you know, too.
No bare shoulders, no shorts, and they mean it.
It's just a matter of respect in their eyes.

Posted by
7866 posts

No parts of your body that bends to be exposed...OK maybe elbows, but long sleeved shirts are better.

Posted by
65 posts

I'd go even farther: Shorts shouldn't be worn in any European city, unless you want to stick out like a yokel.

Posted by
21 posts

No, and you should be aware of what is printed on your T-shirt too if you wear one. We were in St Marks last week and saw them turn someone away for wearing a Iron Maiden T-shirt.

Also, here in Florence, that no tanktops and shorts rule has applied at many buildings that weren't churches, per se. I think that even the Accademia had a sign. I don't remember for sure though as I've been to a ton of museums and churches in the past 8 days in 2 different cities.

Ciao, from Florence!

Posted by
12313 posts

The rule applies equally to men and women. Dress modestly and keep your shoulders, knees and tummy covered.

Posted by
1 posts

When I was in Rome and Venice a couple of years ago, I kept a light rectangular scarf in my bag. It ws an acceptable covering for bare shoulders in churches and didn't take up much room when not in use. One of the cathedrals provided paper shirts to imiproperly dressed tourists, but most will jsut turn you away.

If you feel that you have to wear shorts, you might consider those long pants with legs that zip on and off just above the knees. Just be sure to carry a back pack for storage of the extra legs when you aren't wearing them.