Please sign in to post.

Dress code

I am finding conflicting information regarding dress codes. When it says "modest dress" for places like the Vatican, does that mean no short-shorts and exposed shoulders, or no shorts at all? Is it true that most Italians don't wear shorts, period? Thanks for any help.

Posted by
101 posts

Modest dress for the Vatican and nearly any church in Italy is "no shorts (men and women), no skirts above the knees, no exposed shoulders (aka tank tops, men and women). The Vatican Museums/St. Peter's Basilica are most especially strict about enforcing this modesty policy. You will probably get posts that contradict me on this, but I believe and have found that Europeans overall are more formal and conservative in their dress. The only Europeans I've noticed wearing shorts were actually performing in athletic events or outdoor activities (hiking, biking) or they are on vacation at the seashore. There is a "purpose" to them wearing shorts and it's not just because it might be hot outside. Most of the people I've seen wearing shorts in Italy and elsewhere in Europe were primarily Americans. Shorts, graphic T's, Tevas or white tennis shoes, fanny packs.... we are identifiable as Americans before one word has come out of our mouths! That said, don't go buy an entirely new wardrobe, but do dress thoughtfully. You won't necessarily offend anyone by wearing your shorts (outside of a church visit), but you will notice you are in the minority. I'd rather TRY to blend in just a bit rather than standing out like a sore thumb.

Posted by
23268 posts

Knees and shoulders covered. Europeans tend to dress a bit better in the cities than the average Am tourist who think they are visiting Disneyland. Carry light sweater when you need to cover up. Fashion doesn't count.

Posted by
7737 posts

And just like the return of the swallows to Capistrano, this topic comes up again. :-) Shorts on Italians are common in the resort towns during summer. That said, if it's hot enough, you'll see Italians in shorts in the cities. But the rule in churches is "no bare knees, no bare shoulders." Try to push those boundaries at your own peril. Happy travels.

Posted by
15 posts

We just spent five weeks in Italy. The big enforcers are the Duomos in Florence and Sienna and St. Marks in Venice. People wore shorts, just not short shorts. Tons of Italians are on vacation and wearing shorts in Venice and Florence. Men wear capris. It is really hot in some of these places. So wear what makes you happy and comfortable. Women can take a little shawl/ scarf. Have fun. Don't stress.

Posted by
10 posts

I was planning to wear a lot of the comfortable, swishy skorts that land just above the knee -- now not so sure I wouldn't be refused entry!

Posted by
791 posts

I was just talking about this subject with an Italian co-worker a couple of days ago and the perceptions that Americans have on this subject. She thought it pretty strange. While Italians will tend to match sneaker color with what they are wearing (ex:they wouldn't wear white sneakers with black pants) they do wear white sneakers. Italians wear shorts but generally wait till it's hotter outside. I break out my shorts as soon as winter is over....I generally start seeing shorts on Italians when it gets into the 80's. Graphic t shirts.....and this is the first time I've heard this one.....clothing stores are full of 'em. As far as churches go.......we've never been refused entry to a church wearing shorts. The most we've ever been told is to remove hats and for my wife to cover her shoulders and that at only a couple of churches. Bring a shawl with you to cover up if needed but it's my experience that places that do enforce the rule will usually be handing out paper shawls.
Dress for comfort and don't sweat it. As soon as you open your mouth to any Italian they'll know your a tourist anyways. Unless you're wearing something really out there.....no one really cares what you are wearing!

Posted by
800 posts

Well unlike Ron, we HAVE been denied entry wearing shorts. Both my husband and I had on long but still above the knee clothing readily identifiable as "shorts". We were trying to enter the abbey at montecassino (husband is a WWII buff) and just didn't put it in the same category as St. Peters. We went back down to our hotel in order to change. And we have seen people turned away at St. Peters or those who had to purchase paper coverings to wear over their shorts. Poster above said it best - many Europeans wear shorts but only when they are at the beach, biking, etc. My daughter spent a year studying in France two years ago. She told us she was the only one who would show up to the gym having worn her athletic clothes on the way over. The other students wore "normal" clothes while walking over and changed once they got there. Anyway - skirts right at the knee (and I do mean skimming the knee, not several inches above) don't pose as much of a problem. Our other daughter had sundresses at that length and as long as she also had her shoulders covered she was fine. Capris are fine. My husband and son wore long pants because they are not going to wear manpris. It wasn't hard to dress appropriately to visit the big churches you will likely want to see. And they were worth it.

Posted by
4152 posts

The rules are simple: shoulders and knees covered. The enforcement of those rules are not so simple. Some guards bend the rules when it 's very hot, some don't. If you want to guarantee your admittance into any church or basilica you should be sure to cover your knees and upper arms. Men should wear pants and not longer shorts. There is a specific sign at St. Peter's that specifies that men should wear pants and shorts are not allowed, even if they are below the knees. Donna

Posted by
833 posts

Like others have mentioned, the rule is that your shoulders and knees must be covered. This does not mean you or your husband cannot wear shorts, but they need to cover your knees (which for women would be more capris than shorts anyways, but my husband, at least, wears shorts that cover his knees). And on your skirt: yes, if it just touches your knees you will probably have problems. The Vatican is one of the strictest. In other churches I have gotten away with my knees uncovered as long as my dress or shorts came down to the top of them, however it's probably not worth the risk. Just wear something longer. I would say the main focus is your shoulders though. Bring a cardigan or a scarf to throw on if you are wearing something without sleeves.

Posted by
4152 posts

For the St. Peter's dress code just go to stpetersbasilica.org. click on "dress code" then on "strictly enforced" to see the picture of what the Vatican consider okay and not okay. You'll see that shorts for men and women are not okay. You may be allowed inside with shorts but it's not guaranteed. It's up to you if you want to give it a try. Donna

Posted by
51 posts

Interesting that this summer we saw many more people in shorts than in the past. Though I live in shorts during the summer, my philosophy in Europe is quite different. Though I have a plan for each day, it is open to change on a whim and I never quite know where I will end up. To be prepared for all contingencies, I wear long pants and my wife a dress. I am willing to forgo comfort in order to be prepared. Funny how in Rome a few weeks ago, more than one tourist mistook my wife and I for locals because we were not wearing shorts and asked us for directions!

Posted by
7737 posts

One of the other advantages to wearing lightweight long pants (and lightweight long sleeves as well, for that matter) is that you don't have to put on as much sunscreen. :-)