Please sign in to post.

dress code

I understand the dress code for the Vatican, is it the same dress code for all the churches in Italy.

Posted by
3313 posts

It may not be enforced everywhere but it's a respectful standard in Catholic churches. Have no idea what the Methodists do...

Posted by
4152 posts

Other churches may not be as vigilant as St. Peter's in enforcing the dress code but they all ask for shoulders and knees to be covered. This is for men and women, boys and girls.. Be respectful and abide by their rules. Donna

Posted by
12172 posts

The only other place I saw actively enforcing a dress code was St. Marks in Venice. I expect the standard is the same all over Italy but not enforced as rigorously at less visited churches.

Posted by
719 posts

the most vigorous churches in this regard are St. Peter's and St. Mark's, with guards at the door turning people away. However, many other churches in italy request this also. They're more tolerant of shorts, but not so with bare shoulders.

Posted by
7737 posts

The most stringently enforced churches are those that are on Vatican soil (in the same way an embassy is considered the soil of the country it represents). This includes St. Anthony's Basilica in Padua and San Giovanni in Laterano in Rome. There doesn't seem to be consistent enforcement of the rules, however. Women bear the brunt of the enforcement, in my experience. Best to have a shawl or scarf just in case.