Please sign in to post.

Domus Aurea

Does anyone know if the Domus Aurea is open the first week of October, 2024? If so, is it only open on weekdays, or is it just open on weekends? And are tours in English available? Thank you.

Posted by
2668 posts

I think you’re too early to buy those tickets. When we went two years ago, it was only on the weekends. Looking at July tickets, there’s only weekends for sale.

English tours were available to us. We had to book a specific ticket for an English tour.

Posted by
2975 posts

It’s open Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Right now tickets are available through July. I’m waiting for mid- September tickets to post and check frequently so I don’t miss the English tour.

Posted by
15760 posts

It's only open on weekends because the archaeologists work on the site during the week. When I went a few years ago, shortly after it had opened to the public, the tours were lead by staff members. Well worth making an effort for.

Posted by
619 posts

Update for anyone interested: I tried to buy tickets for October 6 (Sunday) today and they weren't on sale. The ones for the 5th went on sale yesterday. Then I noticed no tickets were offered for the first Sunday in September so I concluded that it's not open on First Sundays and I bought Saturday tickets.

Posted by
75 posts

The first Sunday of each month is “Free Sunday”.

“The Ministry of Culture's event, “Free Sunday”, which offers free admission to state museums and cultural sites on the first Sunday of every month, does not include the Domus Aurea.”

I am not sure how they handle things at the Domus Aurea on Free Sundays…hopefully someone else will.