Please sign in to post.

Dolomites--Where to stay?

Hi. We are a family of four, including two teenagers, 15 & 16, traveling to Germany and Austria (mostly in Salzburg and St. Wolfgang), and have decided to add 2 nights in the Italian Dolomites. We have traveled in Switzerland and Italy and loved it. We will have a car. So, I am looking at three possibilities for July 29-31:
-Utia de Borz Mountain Inn at Passo delle Erbe; or
-Hotel Bellavista Alpe di Siusi; or
-somewhere in Ortisei (having a hard time finding a place).
Is anyone familiar with either of these hotels or the areas? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Posted by
16772 posts

I did not look at Utia de Borz but I am familiar with Hotel Bellavista. We spent 3 nights up at Alpe di Siusi a few years ago at a different hotel, but dined one night at Bellavista. I would happily stay there. Alpe di Siusi is a magical place, with wonderful views and great walking. I highly recommend the hike up to Refugio Bolzano/Schlernhaus).

http://www.schlernhaus.it/schlernhaus/en/

You can have lunch up there before hiking back down.

Edit: you can drive to and from the hotel on your arrival and departing days, but in between your car use is limited to early and late hours. But you won't need it. If you donthe hike suggested above, you can walk tonthe trailhead. For other trails, there is good bus service. Or rent bikes in Compatsch and ride the trails instead of hiking ( assuming there is still a bike rental place in Compatsch).

Posted by
11367 posts

We loved Hotel Grones in Ortisei. It is a pretty family owned hotel, indoor pool, garage parking and offers wonderful meals. Convenient walkable location into town.

Posted by
39 posts

Thank you for the responses. I'm leaning toward the Alpe di Siusi/Hotel Bellavista. Has anyone been to Passo delle Erbe?