Please sign in to post.

Dolomites in May?

Hello,
We are planning a month-long trip to Northern Italy for May 2025. One of the places we would like to visit for 3 or 4 nights are the Dolomites but I am wondering if May is too early for the Dolomites. I could plan our trip so that we are there in late May. We aren't interested in strenuous hiking but we would like to visit small towns and villages surrounded by beautiful mountain scenery. Maybe do some lower elevation flat walks. And perhaps take a gondola or two to higher elevations. Will gondolas be running at this time of year?

Will accommodations and restaurants be open in May in Merano, Castelrotto, or Val Gardena?

We also want to see the "Ice Man" in Bolzano so we will probably spend a night there but we would prefer not to spend 3 or 4 nights in Bolzano so that is why we hope some smaller towns will be open.

We will have a car while in the Dolomites region.

Thank you!

Posted by
11335 posts

It is early, but by mid-May a few of the higher lifts will be open in the Val Gardena including Ortisei to Alpe di Siusi (May 11), Rasciesa (May 18], and Col Raiser (May 17). Full schedule here https://www.valgardena.it/en/summer-holidays-dolomites/lifts/. The valley and villages are eminently visit worthy and there are always hotels and restaurants open, although not all of them. Merano and Castelrotto should be more open as they are not as high up and not really in the mountains like the Val Gardena.

Posted by
1613 posts

Laurel, thank you so much for your information and for the link to the chairlifts/gondolas. This is exactly the kind of information and advice I am looking for.

Posted by
1883 posts

Do plan to go see Otzi, but be sure to make a reservation first. We saw him last September, reserving on line before. There are 2 lines at the door, and the one for reservations gets in first. Bring your passport, you will hand it over so you can get headphones for a self guided tour. And, make sure you listen carefully, he's a little "hidden", so don't miss #5 (I think that was it) to walk past the tiny window to view him! Should you be "senior citizens" make sure you ask for that discount.

Reservations get you in first, you still have to pay at the ticket counter.

We spent 3 nights in Bolzano, and loved it, but then we are hikers and did a hike / walk to the Runkelstein Castle just outside the city center and also took the gondola, then train and walk/hike up to see the earth pyramids...

Posted by
76 posts

In addition to Laurel's suggestions, you may also want to consider visiting Val di Funes in May: https://throneandvine.com/val-di-funes/. It is next to Val Gardena and is truly one of the most beautiful valleys in the Dolomites. There, you can enjoy a number of walks / hikes surrounded by quaint villages and farms without having to take a gondola. When you visit Bolzano, consider also touring Runkelstein Castle: https://www.runkelstein.info/. Its ancient frescoes are remarkable. Happy planning!

Posted by
1441 posts

I hate to be the contrarian, but I do want you to be prepared for the not-so-unlikely event of poor weather in May. Do plan on some alternative events, just in case. ALpine weather is fickle and you may even experience four seasons on the same day.

Posted by
1613 posts

Ellen, thank you for your detailed description about how to best see the "Ice Man".
How would you describe the hike to the earth pyramids? Long, steep, difficult? We are in our 70's so we aren't interested in long and difficult hikes. Do you recommend hiking boots instead of sneakers?
Where did you stay in Bolzano?

Kate, Thank you for the link to Val Di Funes! The area looks absolutely gorgeous, and is a place we would love to see and stay in. I see that you also live in Italy. Have you visited this area in May? How far is it from Bolzano? We are thinking of 4 nights in the Dolomites, so perhaps 2 nights in Val Di Funes and 2 nights in Bolzano? Does this make sense?

Barkinpark, I appreciate your comments about possible poor weather in May. Our alternative plans/events would be to see the Ice Man and Runkelstein Castle. Not sure what else is indoors. Need to do more research. So would 2 nights in Val Di Funes or another small town, such as Merano, and then 2 nights in Bolzano make sense?

We could possibly move our trip to September 2025 which I assume would be better for a visit to the Dolomites. However, I chose May because we are also visiting Florence, Tuscany, Venice, Bologna, the CT, Milan and Lake Como. I realize weather can never be depended upon from year to year, but based on research I have done and talking to people, I think May will be a nicer time to visit the other places on our itinerary. A bit less cooler and a bit less crowded. We don't want to be sightseeing with temps in the 90's. Any thoughts on May vs September?
Thanks!

Posted by
1441 posts

I think Merano is a good idea. It has everything: charm, scenery, and a great gourmet scene. Val Di Funes does not require an overnight stay.

Posted by
1613 posts

Barkinpark, so would you recommend spending all 4 nights in Merano? Or perhaps 2 nights in Bolzano and 2 nights in Merano? Or 1 night in Bolzano and 3 nights in Merano? Our next destination after the Dolomites will be Lake Como. We will have to return our car to Bolzano and then take the train to Lake Como. I haven't checked trains schedules yet and I'm sure it's too early for next year. Just wondering if we should spend our last night in Bolzano so we can easily return the car and get the train the next day. But I guess that depends on what time the train is.

Posted by
1441 posts

Are you staying in Val Gardena at all?

Perhaps do this: Merino 2 nights and then the rest in Ortisei. Then, you get the best of both worlds.

Posted by
133 posts

Another vote for Otzi! And don’t rush through it, leave yourself time because it is one of the most fascinating things that you will never see anywhere else

Posted by
1613 posts

Barkinpark, how close is Ortisei to Val di Funes? Having never been there, of course, I don't have a feeling for what the difference is between Merano and Ortisei. Can you describe why we would get "the best of both worlds" ? Thank you!

Posted by
1613 posts

californiacuore, thanks for another recommendation for Otzi, the Ice Man! Seeing him is at the top of our list!

Posted by
1441 posts

I stayed in Ortisei for 5 nights and drove (with a rental car) to Val di Funes. It took about 1 hour each way. I suggest you start driving early in the morning, as the parking lots at VdF fill up very quickly. Make sure you go only when the weather is clear and sunny.

Ortisei is a town that is the most convenient for cable car rides up the slopes along Val Gardena. Merano is a major, scenic town in South Tirol. It's a gourmet hub best known for local food and also fusion food (Mediterranean and South Tirolean). So, even with less-than-perfect weather, you still have enough stuff to do in Merano.

Posted by
1613 posts

Barkinpark, thank you so much for your very helpful detailed descriptions. It makes it easier for me to decide where to stay. I appreciate all of your advice.