Please sign in to post.

Dolomites in May?

I am travelling from Lucca to Krakow at the end of May, 2019, and I have about one week set aside for this leg of my journey. I would like to spend 3-4 days in the Ortisei area, but the last three hotels I inquired about are closed for the month. This is apparently the time between winter and summer seasons when the local owners get all of their work done without any tourists to get in the way. My question is: should I skip the Dolomites at the end of May, and perhaps head to Ljubljana/Lake Bled instead? Then go onward to the Salzburg/Lake Hallstatt area, or perhaps Vienna for the remainder of the week? My main concern is that Ortesei will be mostly shut down, and the weather will be too iffy for outdoor hiking. I could convince myself to return to the Dolomites on another trip, when the weather and facilities will be more conducive.
Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks, Dave

Posted by
11131 posts

Save the Dolomites for another trip. We were in Ortisei in mid June and it was beautiful both in the valley and up in the mountains. Worth waiting for...

Posted by
11300 posts

Skip it. Too many lifts are still closed limiting access to the hiking areas.

Posted by
8124 posts

In many mountain areas of the world (including the Rocky Mountains in Colorado), May is a very wet month. Some days are good, and some are rainy. I'd be looking for alternative regions.