Please sign in to post.

Dolomites in May

I am planning a three week trip to Italy for May 2012. I would love to spend a few days in the Dolomites but have read past discussions on the Helpline that state lifts and some lodging will be closed when I am there (early to mid-May). I would like to experience the Italian-Tirolean culture and do a little hiking. What do you think? Is it worth visiting the Dolomites at this time of year?

Posted by
850 posts

Absolutely. There are places that are closed and most lifts are as well but there are upsides to visiting in mid May. We found the rates for rooms reasonable and there are less tourists and traffic. We did not have reservations for rooms and were able to find places with no problem but there is nothing wrong with making reservations in advance once you have firmed up your plans. Hopefully you will be driving so you can leisurly enjoy the Dolomites which will provide you with some beautiful views. I would spend at least 3 days there. There is always a chance of snow in May but we caught it when the weather was perfect. It did snow the week before we were there so that is always a possibility. I would definitely go for it.

Posted by
2955 posts

Hi Dean, I agree with Lane's post above. We've been a number of times in Oct. and Sept. and once in late April. In the Val Gardena, one or two lifts start as early as mid May, but if you'll have a car, you can have better access to hikes and walks in the Dolomites. One example that comes to mind is we stopped at a small parking lot along the Sella Pass where we saw some hikers/walkers heading out on paths amongst the Dolomites. Again, I agree that 3 days is ideal and gives you the chance to see much of the area. In case of bad weather, plans could include visits to either Brixen/Bressanone or Bozen/Bolzano. As for accomodations/restaurants and shops... there will be enough open. If driving, include a drive over the sensational Gardena and Sella Passes. Paul

Posted by
2829 posts

This is an awesome time to visit. It's Spring, so you might catch some late-flowering on the trees. The whole area will be far less crowded because it's too late for winter activities like skiing, but too early for summer activities like escalating mountains up to their top. Weather is generally good after early April. Whether you will be able to hike in certain trails will depend on the particular snowfall and temperature profile of the season. Same goes for the road passes: sometimes they are opened in late April, sometimes only in late May, pending on weather. But all cities and low-altitude hiking trails will be opened and working. A car is essential to explore the area at that time, or, if not essential, at least will greatly improve your access to places you might want to visit.