Please sign in to post.

Dolomites in May

Hello,
My family and I (2 adults and 1 child) are looking to go to the Dolomites in Mid May (16th-23rd) and we're going to be staying in the Villnoess Area, quite close to St. Magdalena Church. From there we were hoping to do day trips out to other areas of the Dolomites and some hikes/ easy bike rides all within an hours drive of our accommodations. My question is, will May just be too cold to visit the Dolomites or will we be fine? I know that most of the cable cars are closed at this time so it limits our hiking options a bit. Is May just not a great time to visit?
Thank you so much for your help!
-Rachel

Posted by
67 posts

It could go either way in mid-May. We had plans to go at the end of May/beginning of June last year (2019) and everything looked great until a few days before we got there when a blizzard hit and we got snowed out. Glad we had a flexible cancellation on our AirBnB in Bolzano and a good plan B. If you're skiers, then you'll be good to go either way.

Posted by
27107 posts

The website timeanddate.com has actual, day-by-day, historical weather statistics going back at least ten years. I've linked to the May 2019 data for Ortisei, which is a bit higher than Villnoess; altitude matters a lot. I recommend checking five years' worth of weather stats to get a good idea of the likely range you may experience.

Posted by
1582 posts

Rachel - The area Alta Via 1 is a great path through the mountains for the most scenic hikes. Mid May to to end of May is good. The weather may not be perfect everyday during that time but you should have good days for hiking. Also while you are near St. Magdalena church, take the opportunity to tour St. Johann Church which is nearby. It's an 18th century church surrounded with lush green pine trees.

https://www.wundersocks.com/adventures/alta-via-1-dolomites/#.XkwXWTFKiUk