Please sign in to post.

Dolomites in July

Hello! My wife and I are looking at spending 3 or 4 nights in Val Gardena or Alta Badia and are looking for a home base to explore the Val Gardena and Alta Badia region. We will have a rental car, so we won't need to depend on public transportation. Would you recommend using Val Gardena or Alta Badia as a home base? We are hoping to stay in a bed and breakfast that will give us more of the authentic experience. Do you all have any recommendations for specific Bed and Breakfasts? I have been looking at tripadvisor and other travel sights, but the many options are somewhat overwhelming. Thank you in advance for your help!

Posted by
11156 posts

It is a small family owned and run hotel, Hotel Grones, but it still one of our favorite hotel experiences anywhere. Walk down into town or to the elevator. Dinner and breakfast were included when we stayed and they were exceptional.

Posted by
3391 posts

We stayed at an amazing inn in the hills above Ortesei...about 10-15 minutes up the mountain - it was recommended to us by one of the forum members here. It's called Uhrerhof Deur and is run by 3 generations of the same family - they have been on the land for generations. It's probably the best place I've ever stayed anywhere in the Alps. We got half-board which was the best decision we made as dinner was an event! Gorgeous food served in their beautiful, cozy, pine paneled dining rooms. The breakfast buffet is also something to write home about...everything from the bread to the jam is homemade. They have an on site spa, extensive rose garden tumbling down the hill in front of the hotel, and a collection of sheep that are adorable! I can't recommend this place highly enough...it's unique and very special.

Posted by
1090 posts

We stayed at hotel Garni Fortuna (https://www.hotel-fortuna.it) and it was very well located in Ortisei. Two minutes walking to the center of town and the lift to take you up to Alpe di Siusi. Family run, very quaint, excellent Mountain View’s and very helpful in planning your days.

Posted by
29 posts

We return to Hotel Dignon this September. It's a sweet place, with great food, at a nice price. It's in Ortisei. We have also stayed in Castelrotto at the very nice Hotel Mayr. Both have very good food, great views and nice rooms.