Please sign in to post.

Dolomites hiking

We will be in the area around September 22, for 2 or 3 days of hiking. We are looking for moderate hikes up to 5 hours with good views a priority.
Any suggestions on what town to base ourselves in? Any specific hotels?
thanks
rwc

Posted by
339 posts

We were in the Dolomites Sept 21 2014 and stayed in La Villa at Garni Tamarindo. Beautiful spacious rooms with delicious breakfast and amazing view. I believe about $80/night but who knows now with the value of the Euro. It was central but we did have a car.

Posted by
25 posts

hey that was very fast !!
We will have a car so will look into this villa.
Do you have any thoughts on walking or hiking in the area?
thanks much
rwc

Posted by
339 posts

Paul, i had forgotten that they were owned by brothers. We had originally tried to get the one you stayed at but they were booked. We were very happy with our stay at Tamarindo. Loved your photos. The views outside our windows and deck were spectacular.

Posted by
2902 posts

Hi Claire,

They both look very similar to each other. The views were incredible, which is why we chose to stay there again. That and the place is extremely nice and the included breakfast buffet was the best and most varied we've ever had during all our travels. When we get the time, we would like to go back. The Dolomites are simply an amazing place.

Paul

Posted by
1090 posts

We stayed here http://www.hotel-fortuna.it/en/Default.asp in Ortisei around the same time last year. We took the funicular up to the Alpe di Suisi and hiked for 12 miles and stopped in the meadow for lunch. It was an amazing day of gorgeous hiking and such a lovely place to stay. We had a wonderful suite with a view on the Dolomites. I think we payed around 115 euros per night and it included breakfast. The owners speak Italian, German and English. If you haven't been to the Dolomites before, this is the town to visit. Amazing views and such a cute little town. If you stay here, talk to the owner about hiking routes. They really made our trip.

Posted by
3391 posts

The hike around the Drei Zinnen suits your desire for a partial day hike with amazing views! One of our favorites in the area.

Posted by
11300 posts

I am a big fan of Ortisei because you do NOT need a car as well as because it is a cute town with access to an amazing network of lifts to take you to great hiking venues. Check outthe Val Gardena website. Easy to get to by bus from Bolzano.

Another option is to stay in the Alpe di Siusi at a place like Hotel Saltria or AlpenHotel Panorama. It is a spectacular experience to walk out the door and have the the entire Alpe to explore. These hotels are half-pension so breakfast and dinner are included. The food is fantastic. You can walk out your door and be on a trail in no time, giving you access to some hikes that are harder to get to from the valley with added transit time. Again, you can do it without a car. PM me if you need details on that aspect.

Posted by
25 posts

thanks much everyone
I now have the Cicerone guide from our library and with all the help you have given i think we can plan a fantastic visit.
rwc

Posted by
337 posts

I didn't know there were Cicerone guides for the Dolomites! We've used them for hikes in England, and they are wonderful. Now I want to go back to hike the Dolomites (again!).

Posted by
6 posts

We're going to bus from Venice to Dobiacco Toblach in the Dolomites on September 4. Anyone have experience busing up to the Dolomites?
Genie

Posted by
3391 posts

Depending on where you are coming from will determine what will work best. We have almost always arrived from the south as you are, taking the train to Bolzano, and riding buses from there. Since you're arriving on a weekday the buses will be running on a more frequent schedule than on weekdays. The bus system is actually quite good in the Dolomites unless you are wanting to go to more remote places. If that is the case you will need a car.

Posted by
500 posts

You can go from Venice to Dobbiaco by train, with two changes in Verona and Bolzano. Probably easier than going by bus.