Please sign in to post.

Dolomites

Me and my family will be touring Italy, Switzerland and Austria in later half of May, 2020. We will be in Venice from 21st May, 2020 to 23rd may 2020. We are first timers and love to enjoy nature. Please suggest whether it will be worth visiting Dolomites on a day trip from Venice.

Posted by
19632 posts

I would not bother with only 3 nights in Venice. Too much to see there and in the vicinity. But you might want to stop there for a few days on the way from/to Austria.

Posted by
240 posts

YES!!!! We absolutely loved the Dolomites. In fact we're going back there in January. The first time we were there was in the summer then one time in fall. So much hiking and biking. It's just beautiful. You will love Switzerland but I prefer the Dolomites over Switzerland. You will get lots of different opinions on this but we thought a day in Venice was enough. We actually had 3 days scheduled and we left after one so we could have more time in the Dolomites. But we like the outdoors and nature as opposed to large cities and museums.

Posted by
11247 posts

Day trip, no. Not worth the travel time just to get a peek. With transit you’d have no time to really experience nature. Plus, it is off-season.

At least 3 nights/2 full days and best between mid-June and mid-September unless you are a skier, then from early December through Easter is the season. Also, it is hard to get from Switzerland to anywhere in the Dolomites (quite a large region), at least by public trans. Maybe you can give us real details on the rest of your journey including no specific places, # of nights, and dates.

Posted by
26829 posts

Please don't make the mistake of leaving yourself only one day in Venice. People who do that so often don't like the city. I speculate it's because they have spent all their time surrounded by throngs of other tourists, which is what you sort of have to do when you try to cram a bunch of top sights into one day. Give yourself time to breathe; wander along the small canals, away from the mobs.