Please sign in to post.

Dolomites

Looking for feedback on proposed itinerary for the Dolomites. Seeing the sights, light hiking, much photography this trip.
Day 1: Land Marco Polo Airport, stay overnight/jet lag before driving north (or is the drive an easy one towards Bolzano?)
Day 2: North towards Bolzano/Brixen (we been twice prior to these town), staying near Val di Funes area. Explore the area. Enough time to drive to also explore Alpe di Siusi this day or move to day 3?
Day 3: Enough to do in the Alpe di Siusi area, or explore and move east to further explore and stay? Current reservation in Colfosco (between Ortesei and Cortina d' Ampezzo. Too ambitious? Love the hotel!! Stay either in Ortesei or in Selva di Val Gardena area?
Day 4: --- Believe we need to re-think the area from Alpe di Siusi to Cortina d' Ampezzo for days 3-5. How much time is needed in this area?
Day 5: See note above
Day 6: Stay in Cortina d' Ampezzo and explore area and north area to Pragser Wildsee. Stay in this area or drive back to stay in Cortina d' Ampezzo?
Day 7: Drive back to Venice
Doing the Dolomites in 7 Days itinerary in 5 days, but only doing very, very light hiking, so time will free up.

Need your thoughts! Thanks!

Posted by
15164 posts

From the Marco Polo airport I would take the freeway (Autostrada) A27 to the Strada Statale (State Route) SS 51 all the way to Cortina. From the airport to Cortina you can make it in a couple of hours. Whether you want to drive there on the day of arrival or not depends on how jet lagged you are. It’s freeway driving all the way past the Belluno exit. Even the regular highway past Belluno is not too bad. It gets a bit curvy past Pieve di Cadore but nothing to worry about. I’ve done it more than once, even at night.

Posted by
284 posts

That is a lot of moving around. I personally would spend less time driving and more time hiking via the lifts for the ascents and descents if you are limited in hiking time or abilities.

We spent four full days in Ortisei and felt that was about right for hiking and photography but there is not much else to do there. Friends who have hiked/toured around Cortina felt one week was barely enough time.