Please sign in to post.

Dolomites

We are planning a week of day hikes, out of Cortina and Ortisei, in the Dolomites, after an RS Ireland tour. Wondering if those who have been to the Dolomites recommend hiking shoes/boots, or would regular walking/running shoes be adequate? I hate to drag hiking boots around Ireland for 2 weeks, if not needed. Are hiking poles needed? We don’t usually use poles, but have heard in Europe, most people use them. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Posted by
1242 posts

Hi Cheryl. We hiked 'moderate' trails on both sides in Ortisei area (Alpe de Suisi and Seceda) a few years ago; we didn't have boots or poles and did fine. I would say about 30%? of people had hiking poles, and while there were a few times they would have been nice, it wouldn't have been worth the hassle. Summary - it depends on what trails you take. There are plenty of moderate trails; if you choose the more challenging / intense trails, you would probably want boots and poles; otherwise not needed. Have a great trip!

Posted by
21 posts

Thanks! We’ll definitely be on “moderate” trails, so this is super helpful to know!

Posted by
371 posts

We just came home from 6 days in Ortisei and yes, if you are going to the mountains, hiking boots would be best. The trails can be rocky, muddy and uneven and we left our hiking poles at home (my husband hates to check bags, so therefore they stayed home) but coming down the steep inclines, the poles would have helped. Also, the town of Ortisei is deep in a valley and all the streets are hilly. We wore our hiking boots on the plane, since they were our heaviest shoe and then wore them when we trained to Italy. We were gone 3 weeks, but only stayed in 4 different locations, so it wasn’t a big deal. I would definitely bring them again and also the poles.

Posted by
109 posts

I stuck with easy to moderate hikes out of Ortisei and was very thankful for my hiking shoes. I wore Merrells and they were helpful with the scree and terrain. Also comfortable enough to wear on plane and around town. Really did’t have a need for the poles.

Posted by
447 posts

I have made several trips to the Dolomites, hiked all over Val Gardena and Cortina. 8-10 miles/day. My footwear has always been trail running shoes. They worked fine for me. Poles are available at numerous outdoor shops, there may even be some laying around at your lodging. Brad