Please sign in to post.

Dolomites

We will be leaving Venice on May 13th 2012, we want to drive to Cortina then to St Moritz and then to Milan for our flight home. We would like to visit/stay in quaint, scenic places as apposed to staying in the tourist spots (Cortina, St Moritz) We have 4 days to do this.... sure would appreciate any help...also suggestions on rental car companies. Thanks
Ken

Posted by
32222 posts

ken, You might have a look at Castelrotto / Kastelruth to see if that would appeal to you. It's in the same general area as Cortina d'Ampezzo. Bolzano is another possibility on the way back to Milan. Happy travels!

Posted by
2914 posts

Hi Ken, First, rental car co. We've used www.gemut.com for rental cars on our last 3 trips to Europe. Why all the way to St. Moritz, especially since you don't intened to stay there? That's a lot of driving for 4 days. You'll most likely spend a lot of time in the car. I'd figure at least 4 hours a day, not counting stops along the way. Plus, that's 4 "1 nighters" in a row. This is what I'd suggest: From Venice head to Cortina d'Ampezzo and then west into the Alta Badia (San Cassiano, La Villa, Corvara, Colfosco). Stay in this area for 3 nights. Some of the best Dolomite scenery is in this area, plus there are a number of stunning Dolomite Passes to drive (Campolongo, Falzarego, Pordoi, Sella, Giau, Gardena). I don't believe any cable cars/lifts will be running this early in May, so driving the passes may be the best way to get up close to the amazing scenery. www.alpineroads.com/dolomites.php www.worldisround.com/home/pja1/index.html www.altabadia.it IF you still want to drive to St. Moritz, I'd suggest Venice to Cortina, west through Alta Badia, over the Gardena Pass into Val Gardena, the A22 to Bolzano, then to Meran iand west nto the Vinschgau/Val Venosta to Nauders (Austria), then south to St. Moritz and onto Milan. For this, I'd stay in: La Villa (Alta Badia) we love the Ciasa Montanara
www.montanara.it Mals/Malles (Vinschgau) we loved the Hotel Panorama www.biohotel-panorama.it After these, I don't have recommendations for places to stay. In the Vinschgau, must see's are Castel Coira, Glurns/Glorenza, Castel Juval. Plus there's so much more. Paul

Posted by
8 posts

Thanks so much Paul...this is exactly what I was looking for... great info and thanks for your time. Regards;
Ken

Posted by
2914 posts

Your welcome Ken. For what it's worth, for us, "1 nighters" are a pain and time consuming. The Dolomites are incredible. You'll soon see. You may just want to stay a couple of nights. Just wanted to add that at the "top" of the Sella, Gardena and Giau Passes is a rest stop with a cafe/restaurant. Outdoor seating and you're able to take walks and touch the peaks. Amazing. You'll also find paths to walk into the Dolomites from the rest areas and a few parking areas along the passes themselves with paths for hiking/walking. Just wanted to add if you stay in Alta Badia (or Val Gardena) for a few nights, the nice old town of Bruneck/Brunico is about 45 min. from Alta Badia and our favorite old town, Brixen/Bressanone, is about 40 min. from Val Gardena. We visited both while based in La Villa, Alta Badia. Paul