Please sign in to post.

Dolomites

Ortisei to Lienz. Which hike/hikes to stop along the way?

HI!! Dolomites in September 2024!! We are a couple (53yr + 60yr) and after 5 nights in Ortisei, we will travel to Lienz, Austria for the night before travelling the Grossclockner Road. We could stop and hike along the way But which one? Could we do more than one? Which one would you pick? I know the weather and time will play into it. Easy to moderate is how we roll. I appreciate any help you can provide.

1. Cinque Torri with or without Averau /Rifugio Nuvolau

2 Cadini Di Misurina

1. Lagazuoi to Passo Falzarego (check out the view on top and MAYBE walk down)

2. Lago di Braies

3. Would you guys like to suggest anything for hikes/routes?

Posted by
866 posts

We have used Gillian Price's hiking guides to the Dolomites in picking our targets and if you have not consulted one of them you might want to look them up.

We have walked down from Lagazuoi back to the Pass after taking the Gondola up and it was a lot of fun and great views. Nice gun pits from the Austrian Army WWI era when Lagazuoi was Austrian and Cortina was Italian. There is even a tunnel down from Lagazuoi to the Austrian side of the mountain that they used to supply troops throughout the winters. It was half day hike as I expect most of what you mentioned would be. I personally doubt if you would want to do more than one hike on a transit day between two towns, but there are so many gondolas that going up and down several of them could be very scenic.

Great Place, Have Fun!

Posted by
1441 posts

A very scenic hike is around the top of Tre Cime. However, you will need hiking poles and it is not easy. Lago di Braies hike is also not that easy.
Not impossible, but everybody defines "easy to moderate" differently.