Please sign in to post.

Dolomites

Where would you recommend as a central location in the Dolomites in July? We have a 10 year old son and are looking for a place with some lifts into the mountains, some meandering walks, hikes, toboggans, some shopping, good culture, beautiful sights! What would you recommend. We will not have a car.

Posted by
1829 posts

Not sure you can beat Ortisei for what you are looking for
That said it is a small town and having a car for here and the Dolomites in general is just better
Not that in the summer you cannot get by without one but it would take a good reason for me to recommend not having one. Even it just sits idle most of the time it still makes arriving and departing so much faster and convenient

Posted by
27237 posts

With a car you could move faster and see more areas, but I spent close to a week in Bressanone and Bolzano in the summer of 2015 and got around quite well via bus and various types of lifts. I didn't feel cheated at all. From any one point there are likely to be multiple walks available. And I agree on Ortisei. It looked like a good choice of base village to me. It even has a small wood-carving museum.