Please sign in to post.

dolomites

Is it worth it to go to the Dolomites to visit for a day.... also we would mainly be going for the scenery not so much serious hiking Should we stay there or in Venice?

Posted by
1709 posts

It would be hard to experience the Dolomites in just a day. If you're asking about a side trip from Venice, perhaps Verona would be an enjoyable day trip.

Posted by
15246 posts

First question: do you have a car?
Without a car it's difficult to enjoy the area, especially with limited time. If you are in Venice, you should rent a car in Venice and do a nice loop from Venice to Cortina down to Selva di Val Gardena then to Castelrotto all the way to Bolzano (several hours, probably all day including stops and lunches). You could spend the night in the area (Selva or Castelrotto are nice) then come down the freeway from Bolzano and go back to wherever you want to go next the following day. For example the following day you could drive from Bolzano to Verona swinging by the Lake Garda. In the afternoon/evening you arrive in Verona where you return your car. Then spend one night in Verona and visit it the next day. From Verona then take a train to wherever you like in the afternoon.

Posted by
850 posts

We did the route from Venice that Roberto suggests and our intention was to do it in a day which can be done. Two nights and 3 days from the time we left Venice we made it to Bolzano. The scenery is so beautiful that a one day drive through will only leave you wanting more time. If you do not feel that you would ever go back I suppose one day is better than never experiencing the Dolomites at all but I would try my best to work my itinerary to accomodate a couple of days in the area. Fortunately for us we were not tied to a strict itinerary for that part of the trip so being flexible worked out great.

Posted by
8170 posts

A couple of days would be needed to visit the Dolomites. I would like to get a rental car in Venice and head north toward Udine. Go past Udine and merge on Hwy SS52bis going due north. Go to the end, turn left and go into Lienz, Austria. This is the most beautiful place I've ever seen. (We went over the Grossglockner Alpine Highway north of Lienz.) From Lienz, you can go west and get into a circle that takes you back through Cortina de Ampesso and the Italian Dolomites. Eventually you can get back to Venice.
Just get a good map and you can find the most scenic places you can imagine.